You can type here any text you want

4.1 bigger turbo?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BeanSS

SlickSquid
Just wondering if I can "step up" to bigger turbo for my 4.1 im assembling...I know we can swap turbo's with the hot airs stock turbo,but I see they have adapters so they can go up sizes...Im thinking like a T-44/T-49 or something. I don't think I got the mechanical ability to put that frankenstien turbo together Charlie and AJ has haha

Nothing that is going to be a direct bolt-on BeanSS. You can put any bigger than stock size turbo you want on your drawthru 4.1 for sure as long as it's got a carbon seal, still won't just bolt-on though.

cant you machine bigger blades into the stock housing? i dont know so dont all jump on me at once.:biggrin::tongue:

cant you machine bigger blades into the stock housing? i dont know so dont all jump on me at once.:biggrin::tongue:

That's what Charlie and the other mad scientist did by taking the guts from the Pontiacs and the other side of the 86-87 GN's and TR's...I just ain't got the mad skills to pull that off...I probablly will just have to hire them to build me one..Oh whoa as me!!!:wink: haha

Yep that's one of the downside's of having a drawthru. Stock is it! It's the only turbo that swap's from and too all of them. All of the bigger modded drawthru turbo's: oem 301 compressor wheels, and all the aftermarket wheels don't just bolt on without modifications.
A.j. Is selling already built drawthru turbo's with upgraded compressor wheels, or at least he was perhaps still is.

Yep that's one of the downside's of having a drawthru. Stock is it! It's the only turbo that swap's from and too all of them. All of the bigger modded drawthru turbo's: oem 301 compressor wheels, and all the aftermarket wheels don't just bolt on without modifications.
A.j. Is selling already built drawthru turbo's with upgraded compressor wheels, or at least he was perhaps still is.

Adam's right. Aj's selling right now but is seriously backed up because of work. Send him a PM and see what he can do for you.

I would really suggest starting off with the stocker and seeing how it goes. It's about having the right sized turbo and bigger is not necessarily better. You may find that a bigger turbo is just much harder to spool up properly. You can always change later once you know you new motor better.

I would really suggest starting off with the stocker and seeing how it goes. It's about having the right sized turbo and bigger is not necessarily better. You may find that a bigger turbo is just much harder to spool up properly. You can always change later once you know you new motor better.

you have to atleast agree with a turbine upgrade though..... the stock carb turbo turbine was just terrible.... and still is terrible... its the single biggest contributor to lag....

A.j.

What exactly do you mean by turbine upgrade? The housing, the impeller or what?

Yep. Reducing the size of the exducer and keeping the same AR number adds to the effeciency of the turbo. Reduce the rotating mass of the exducer in relation to the inducer and you get rid of a lot of lag. I'm really suprised no one hadn't done it before.

Yep. Reducing the size of the exducer and keeping the same AR number adds to the effeciency of the turbo. Reduce the rotating mass of the exducer in relation to the inducer and you get rid of a lot of lag. I'm really suprised no one hadn't done it before.

well its just plain inefficient. its like trying to turn a water wheel with a garden hose.

its huge... and its heavy.... its awfully close to my old RaJay unit from a dozer... I think the turbine alone is proof that the technology had not quite caught up yet.

A.j.

Back