You can type here any text you want

4.1 Non Turbo Upgrades

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikejustowns

I came up with some money to get a few parts for my non turbo =[ regal. Just wanted to know people thought. Besides getting a turbo this is the best I could do. The car is near mint and I want to keep the orig. motor in it.

Edelbrock Performer Carb #1403

Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold #5486

Hypertech Chip #422302

I also want to get a set of pacesetter headers and run a 3 inch cat back system down the road. Does anyone have any advice with swapping out the intake and carb? Would that show decent hp gains for the money?

If you already have a 4.1 with the 4bbl intake why are you trying to screw it up? Open up the intake top. If you need a pic send me your email and I'll show you what you can do with one. Just changing the intake won't do a whole lot. A cam change will help more than anything. The headers and exhaust will help but pacesetters SUCK! To much work for something that leaks and you WILL have fitment issues. And a blaster? Why? not any better.

If you already have a 4.1 with the 4bbl intake why are you trying to screw it up? Open up the intake top. If you need a pic send me your email and I'll show you what you can do with one. Just changing the intake won't do a whole lot. A cam change will help more than anything. The headers and exhaust will help but pacesetters SUCK! To much work for something that leaks and you WILL have fitment issues. And a blaster? Why? not any better.

I would like to see how ya open up the intake top. Email is Mikejustowns@yahoo.com. Also I was thinking change the cam but I wanted to start at the top of the engine first. I will try to find another brand other than pacesetters with a better fit. The blaster coil I got new for 5 bucks so I figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

I'll try to post it tomorow Mike. You need a few tools though. You start with a sawzall (yes I know it sounds extreem but..) and a die grinder with dies and flapper wheels. Doesn't take to long but you have to have the tools to do the job. I got the die grinder from harbor freight and the cutters you have to scrounge. I'll see what I can do to post pics.

Here's some pics of what can be done when you port the 4.1 intake. I haven't finished it yet so it's a work in progress. The first one is the carb mounting flange after modifying. the next 3 are at different angles of how to smooth the runners out for better flow. I'll add more to this with explanations.

Attachments

• 4.1 top.JPG
    4.1 top.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 95
  • port.JPG
    port.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 101
  • port1.JPG
    port1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 118
  • port2.JPG
    port2.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 97
The next 3 are the EGR ports. To do justice to the intake you need to weld fill ALL of them and then use the turbo intake gasket with the round hole in the center to drill ONLY the center port for exhaust gas under the intake for warmth. Your EGR will also work as well so you're legal for all 50 states.

Attachments

• 4.1 egr.jpg
    4.1 egr.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 4.1 egr2.jpg
    4.1 egr2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 4.1 egr3.jpg
    4.1 egr3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 97
The next series of pics are of the Holley street dominator. If you notice, There's not a lot of difference between the two after modifications. I prefer the Holley because of only one EGR port per side and the passages underneith are smaller. The other advantage is that if you want to port it there's a lot of meat there to work with. The restriction at the cab mounting flange can easily cleaned up and it take both a square flange and a spread bore.The other advantage is that it has smaller EGR ports for less tubulance.

Attachments

• holly top.JPG
    holly top.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0010.JPG
    DSCN0010.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN0011.JPG
    DSCN0011.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN0012.JPG
    DSCN0012.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0013.JPG
    DSCN0013.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 91
Last one. This is the single EGR hole per side the holley has. Cooler intake equals more power and less detonation.

Attachments

• holly egr.jpg
    holly egr.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 91
I have a set of headers and a almost new true dual catback exhaust system for it if you want.

Back