You can type here any text you want

427 scared me !

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trackmagic11

My buddy built one of those shelby cobra replicas a while back with a sissy 302 in it. It wasn't really that loud and the cam was far from aggresive. He calls me and invites me to go with him to the shelby road race at Laguna Seca. Of course I said OK and he comes and picks me up. I notice the side-pipes that weren't there last time. He pulls the hood-pins only to reveal a 427 with a whipple-charger and blah blah blah anyways he claims close to 600 hp and 500 lb ft. So we drive up there and he really never got on it. He did his thing and ran a few laps. Before we left he rolled across the scales to see what the car weighed. 2629 lbs. with 175 lb driver and 7 gallons of fuel. I was thinking thats quite a power to weight ratio as we find ourselves on a 2 mile or so stretch of 4 lane highway no bends. Were running about 45 mph while we wait for his buddy to catch up. This guy in a replica GT 350 comes up next to us and smiles. My buddy down shifts and romps on it as the GT has pulled out about 5 cars. I feel the ass-end moving around and then it jerked straight and hooked at about 70. I see the GT's lead shrinking faster and faster as we pull around him I look over to see the speedo at 130. the GT guy just gives us thumbs up and suddenly I hear the most horrific sound as I see the guy we were waiting for blow by us both on the wrong side of the road. He was doing at least 160 because we were still doin 130 plus ! Now we've got a 3 way goin on and the GT and my buddy punch it. We pulled about 3 cars on the GT when we hear that big rpm jump. He tore by us as we hit 150 and we cooled off. about 1 mile up we see skid marks and his buddy parked backwards on the shoulder. Unfortunately he was slowing down and he says at about 60 his motor seized and locked em up. what fun !

Originally posted by Trackmagic11
My buddy built one of those shelby cobra replicas a while back with a sissy 302 in it. It wasn't really that loud and the cam was far from aggresive. He calls me and invites me to go with him to the shelby road race at Laguna Seca. Of course I said OK and he comes and picks me up. I notice the side-pipes that weren't there last time. He pulls the hood-pins only to reveal a 427 with a whipple-charger and blah blah blah anyways he claims close to 600 hp and 500 lb ft. So we drive up there and he really never got on it. He did his thing and ran a few laps. Before we left he rolled across the scales to see what the car weighed. 2629 lbs. with 175 lb driver and 7 gallons of fuel. I was thinking thats quite a power to weight ratio as we find ourselves on a 2 mile or so stretch of 4 lane highway no bends. Were running about 45 mph while we wait for his buddy to catch up. This guy in a replica GT 350 comes up next to us and smiles. My buddy down shifts and romps on it as the GT has pulled out about 5 cars. I feel the ass-end moving around and then it jerked straight and hooked at about 70. I see the GT's lead shrinking faster and faster as we pull around him I look over to see the speedo at 130. the GT guy just gives us thumbs up and suddenly I hear the most horrific sound as I see the guy we were waiting for blow by us both on the wrong side of the road. He was doing at least 160 because we were still doin 130 plus ! Now we've got a 3 way goin on and the GT and my buddy punch it. We pulled about 3 cars on the GT when we hear that big rpm jump. He tore by us as we hit 150 and we cooled off. about 1 mile up we see skid marks and his buddy parked backwards on the shoulder. Unfortunately he was slowing down and he says at about 60 his motor seized and locked em up. what fun !

Oh yeah, what fun. :rolleyes:

What did your underwear look like after you got out? :p

What kind of car was it that blew by you both at like 160? Is that the guy that blew his motor? Gee, I guess he was going a little too fast. :eek:

160 is absolute sheer insanity on the highways of America.120, 130, bursts to 140 maybe, but 160? Holy sh!t, what if he had a blowout? :eek:

He should be thankful the next morning he was able to wake up, take a leak, have his coffee and read the paper because at 160 a blowout would have had him most likely pushing up daisies.

musta been a honda civic that blew by them both. 160? you guys should be ashamed.

It was the guy that blew by us that stuck his motor. I think that he revved it too hard and put too much load on the motor while it was still cold. The aluminum pistons expand much quicker than the iron block and most likely he just cold seized it.

He was in a kit car cobra with a chrysler bored 478ci. His car was definitely not fit to go 160+ . . . it had a cracked windsheild from an E-Z-UP incident that day and the rear end had been making noises. I agree that he was lucky to be able to drink his coffee and read his newspaper but I dont think he has any problem wetting himself because I would have at that speed and no steel wrapped around me.

Back