4L80E Question: Electronic or Gear Drive Speedometer. Which is best.

chris kirk

Which application works best to connect the speedometer using a 4L80E transmission in an '87 GN, a gear drive or electronic speedo. It doesn't have to be the cheapest way but it does have to be the best. I know the gear drive is an extra $550 but that's not going to change my mind if inevitably it's better. I was told the electronic speedometer would be the best way and it would connect to the shift controller. First hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

More info........Stock digital dash, analog dash, or aftermarket?
LS conversion w/ LS pcm, or?

When I used the 4l80e, the TCI/Fast TCU box didn't have speedo output that I remembered, I just clipped onto the speed sensor on the driver's side of the trans (rear of two?). I used both a VDO speedo and then a Racepak dash - either worked fine.

There is a company that also makes a box and basically reads the speed sensor pulse and has an electric motor that drives the factory type speedo cable. I didn't try that but it was surely appealing if you wanted a clean factory look.

Just to answer this incase someone else pulls this thread up in the future, the current TCI ez-tcu has a speedo output signal that can be easily tapped into the factory digital dash, you still lose your odometer though. Your other options are like you mentioned, a gear drive tail housing (jakes performance), an electric to mechanical cable converter (TCI), or you swap your gauges to an aftermarket electronic speedo. They all have their pros and cons.

Paul