You can type here any text you want

5.0 mustang no start... experts needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Scott Atk

Friend of mine broke down today on the way to work. So me being chock full of Christmas cheer decided to try and help him out. He said it just shut off while driving. I figure I'd check for spark first, probably the module. What about the fuel pump? Does it prime for a couple of seconds like a GM? What about a relay and where is it? Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Originally posted by Scott Atk
Friend of mine broke down today on the way to work. So me being chock full of Christmas cheer decided to try and help him out. He said it just shut off while driving. I figure I'd check for spark first, probably the module. What about the fuel pump? Does it prime for a couple of seconds like a GM? What about a relay and where is it? Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Ya know I hate these diagnose via the internet type threads because you get so much bad information from people who don't know what they are doing...so in that spirit let me be the first to give you bad information. ;)

1. Find out if anyone was working on it recently or any recent mods. Look for a shorted wire or the obvious first.

2. Ford control modules are notorious for failing going down the road. Back in the day when that style module was more common we would sell 5-6 modules a week. This in my mind is the most likely culprit. Depending on the year of the Mustang it will either be distributor mounted or firewall mounted. If distributor mounted their is a special tool to get the bolts out that hold it on, if it is firewall mounted then check the color of the connections on the plug. It will make it easier on you at the parts store.

3. Fuel Pump relay I can't help you with.

Good luck.
;)

Honestly, does the fuel gauge work and does it have gas? Make sure the fuel pump inertia switch didn't go bad. Also check to make sure no fusible links have burned up.

Thanks for the reply. Im definitely leaning towards module because fuel pump usually gives a couple of seconds warning. Also, its a 92.

The fuel pump relay should be under the drivers side seat, I used to pull mine out at night just so it wouldn't "walk away" when I wasn't looking

Back