5.0 still love em!

Gentlemen....skid pad numbers out of a magazine are a lot like 0-30 numbers out of a magazine...ie...they are a place to start, but don't come close to telling the whole story.

In other words, there's a lot more to cornering than just skidpad numbers. I'm a drag racer, so it would be far over my head to even attempt a disertation on the subject. I've taken an on-track drivers education course (Summit Point, WV, when I had my 99 T/A), and while I learned a lot, I surely wouldn't feel comfortable trying to discuss it all. Put in a better perspective, I learned how much I DIDN'T know about high performance driving. :)

It would be interesting to get a road racer on here to really explore the subject.

I will say that a TR is going to be best in a straight line - as everyone here likely knows all too well. Sure, you can make one handle - hell, Ford made an F150 handle! But its stoplight to stoplight that the TR shines.

Just my $.02. :)

Bob

You are reading my mind.

I have stated similiar ideas on another thread about the GNX ( only using this car as an example, no flames here) skidpad numbers , reminding everyone that you have to get past the car's push into the corner. In reality the GNX doesn't handle well enough to be considered a G-machine, most F-Bodies or Mustangs either as far as I am concerned. It comes down to driving , setup, unsprung weight, tires, deflection, etc..

Skidpad ratings are just what you say, numbers period. :cool:

Later

Mustang handling...good?

I think you need to drive a car that really handles well like a corvette then you'll get a feel for a car that can handle. I have a 87 IROC(which will soon be a 3.8 turbo) and it handles 10 times better than any mustang i've ever driven. I thought the biggest problem with a mustang was really poor handling performance. But I guess you must have been driving some super handling stang...

Driving a corvete/camaro/firebird is like siting on top of the brick wall, u can feel every bump. Tell me i am wrong? those cars are so uncomfortable to ride unlike mustangs. And maybe mustang handling little behind, its very comfortable. Drive you corvette somewhere where
you have lots of pot holes and you will sell it faster then
12sec.

Go Yankees!!

Brick Wall..?

Well I own a "Brick Wall" and the stiff ride is part of having a car that handles well. Not saying all cars that handle well give a stiff ride. But i'd have to say I have no problem driving the car and never thought of selling especially for a "comfortable" mustang that handles like a garbage can on wheels.