5.25 @ 140

Cal your advice is as good as gold, so thanks a million for your input. Are you using a 9" and if so, is it a stock length housing (52")? Brake-wise, what brand do you have on the rear? Thanks again for your help.

I have a stock width GM 10 bolt with Aerospace brakes.

Thanks again Cal.

Yeah Dusty Doug @ QP built the 9" rear I'll be using also. I've gotten quite a few 9" rears from him over the years as well as the brake kit you're speaking of. Do you guys think a 12" wide rim is too much for the 325 BFG Drag Radials & will a 10" wheel pull the sidewall in too much? How wide of a footprint do those tires have? Thanks guru's of speed :smile:

Thanks again Cal.

Yeah Dusty Doug @ QP built the 9" rear I'll be using also. I've gotten quite a few 9" rears from him over the years as well as the brake kit you're speaking of. Do you guys think a 12" wide rim is too much for the 325 BFG Drag Radials & will a 10" wheel pull the sidewall in too much? How wide of a footprint do those tires have? Thanks guru's of speed :smile:

A 12" would probably work with the 325 unless you want the body down on the tire. If you want a low ride height you may have problems getting that wide of a wheel on the car. I'll be unloading my car in a couple hours and will snap some pics for you of the 295 on the 11 inch wheel.

Ran the V8 car today. Still creeping up on the tune but it did click off a 5.25 at 140 with a 1.36 60 foot. Came back with a harder launch and went 1.33 to the 60' but it started missing about 300 feet out. I'm going to change the plugs and wires and bring another ignition box to Reynolds to see if I can sort it out.
Congratulations on your performance. Especially on such a small tire. Quite impressive. I think we'll be seeing more V/8 conversions as more people reach the limits of their V/6 & wallet.As to the misfire the more boost the tighter the plug gap. Valve spring seat pressure needs to be higher in proportion to boost level. On our V/8 regal I'm running about 250# seat pressure. MSD especially or any hot ignition has the capability to fail & sneak up on you. I have fought these type of gremlins before & can drive you nuts.I know I'm probably stating the obvious here but sometimes these things can be over looked. Good luck Lou

Thanks Lou. I agree and think the V8 thing is just getting started for those who want to compete outside the Buick world.

I have had several issues after going to the digital 7. The worst issue was the erratic rpm signal due to interference with the points wire and my coil wire. I have that fixed but now it seems the coil is weak or cap and wires are gone. I have been told these hot ignitions burn up caps and wires if you race frequently.

Plugs are new and gapped at .026, springs are at 300#

Thanks Lou. I agree and think the V8 thing is just getting started for those who want to compete outside the Buick world.

I have had several issues after going to the digital 7. The worst issue was the erratic rpm signal due to interference with the points wire and my coil wire. I have that fixed but now it seems the coil is weak or cap and wires are gone. I have been told these hot ignitions burn up caps and wires if you race frequently.

Plugs are new and gapped at .026, springs are at 300#
Sounds like you have a handle on the problem. The box were running is a 10-plus with crank trigger with no issues so far. Really haven't tested it enough yet. For years I ran a 7AL box & that's the one that bit me a couple of times. By the way the car I'm now referring to originally was set up much like yours. I ran a 12 X 15 X 5.5 B.S. & 12 X 29 Goodyear's 1.32 60 ft. was best. I was only able to run 21 # boost as I had no boost controller & the car was a handful. That's why I'm amazed that you can keep it hooked up enough to run that number. It's now tubbed & has pulled a 1.21 60 ft. Hope to run it Friday with new engine & inexperienced driver going for his licence.

Sounds like you have a handle on the problem. The box were running is a 10-plus with crank trigger with no issues so far. Really haven't tested it enough yet. For years I ran a 7AL box & that's the one that bit me a couple of times. By the way the car I'm now referring to originally was set up much like yours. I ran a 12 X 15 X 5.5 B.S. & 12 X 29 Goodyear's 1.32 60 ft. was best. I was only able to run 21 # boost as I had no boost controller & the car was a handful. That's why I'm amazed that you can keep it hooked up enough to run that number. It's now tubbed & has pulled a 1.21 60 ft. Hope to run it Friday with new engine & inexperienced driver going for his licence.

I like the old 7al and 10's. These new digital boxes have a boat load of options but sometimes crap out but they are the key to the #'s were are running with the launch retard's, gear retards, etc...I still think my issue is around the coil or something. The car still 60 foot's 1.31 to 1.35 but quit's making power early in the run. The more boost, the worse it gets. The last 3 5.25's I have ran I have shut it off early due to the miss fire. This set-up will go 5.0 at near 150 weighing 3500# when it's sorted. I'll have some video links to our last race to post soon. My friend has a similiar set-up and went 4.87 @ 154. Same tires and suspension but at 3300# It takes a butt load of testing but this is how fast the outlaw radial stuff has gotten.

I like the old 7al and 10's. These new digital boxes have a boat load of options but sometimes crap out but they are the key to the #'s were are running with the launch retard's, gear retards, etc...I still think my issue is around the coil or something. The car still 60 foot's 1.31 to 1.35 but quit's making power early in the run. The more boost, the worse it gets. The last 3 5.25's I have ran I have shut it off early due to the miss fire. This set-up will go 5.0 at near 150 weighing 3500# when it's sorted. I'll have some video links to our last race to post soon. My friend has a similiar set-up and went 4.87 @ 154. Same tires and suspension but at 3300# It takes a butt load of testing but this is how fast the outlaw radial stuff has gotten.
Thanks ! One of the problems I encounterd early on was the placement of the weldon pump forward of the fuel cell & the car would nose over at about the 100 ft. mark. Drove me nuts.Then I mounted the pump behind the cell & the problem was solved. These sort of issues only make you smarter when you figure them out.I would like to see some pictures of your set up. do you have a web site ?

What pics would you like to see? John Wilde had a website set up at one time with my car but that was with the old 23* head motor. The new motor is SB2.2. My friends call it a Stage 2.2 because it's been as much of a headache as any Buick:D

Fuel pump is behind the cell;) Actually I'm ordering the log kit for the XFI this week so I can log fuel pressure as duty cycle is in the 75% range and I want to keep an eye on the pump. It's a Weldon 2035 so it will be near it's limit when I crank the boost up.

What pics would you like to see? John Wilde had a website set up at one time with my car but that was with the old 23* head motor. The new motor is SB2.2. My friends call it a Stage 2.2 because it's been as much of a headache as any Buick:D

Fuel pump is behind the cell;) Actually I'm ordering the log kit for the XFI this week so I can log fuel pressure as duty cycle is in the 75% range and I want to keep an eye on the pump. It's a Weldon 2035 so it will be near it's limit when I crank the boost up.
That's what I started out with was a 23* production block 350 that served me well & was able to finally run a 5.38 @ 134 before breaking a center main cap. I too discovered my fuel problem by using one of the channels in the motec to log the results & could see a dip in fuel pressure. a very useful tool.The engine held up well but not so with the 400 TH, I would get about 10- 15 passes before it would fail. Some of my best pass's were when it stated slipping.We are trying a Rossler 400 with the new engine next.I have heard good results with that company.

Carl Rossler is a great guy to deal with and his products are used on some of the fastest cars out there. I'm sure you will be happy with your transmission.

Carl Rossler is a great guy to deal with and his products are used on some of the fastest cars out there. I'm sure you will be happy with your transmission.
Thanks Ted, I have a friend in N.Carolina that runs in big dog class basically a disguised pro mod car & wins quite a bit. Ran a 4.19 @ 174.00 & has tried & broken every trans out there till he switched to Rossler & if he can't break it no one can.