You can type here any text you want

50state legal big inj.chip q's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ttypenssrider

ok,now i need to know who makes computer chips that
are similar but much better improved and that are made for big injectors(009's;50's),and i need it to pass emissions in ca.
of course i would also get a race chip too.

In Cali, your best bet is to just put the stock injs and chip back in to pass smog, unless your chip maker has a dyno and a wideband. Of course he has to run your car to set the chip as ALL of these cars are different. I passed Washington emmissions with a Kenne Bell Hi/Lo Pro chip, but I only use the stock chip and injs for Cali. ERIC.

You can still pass with an aftermarker chip.
It will not be legal tecnically but can pass.
Talk to scott simpson. He might be able to help.
Some people make smog chips, burnt to improve
the chances of passing!

Who is Scott Simpson? Does he have a business anyone can deal with or what? I may be interested in this type of solution at some point too.
Jeff

Ya, it's easy to pass in CA with 50's and the right smog chip ;)

(Been there, done that). Last year I passed with tons of room to spare, running MSD 50's, TE44 and a front mount intercooler.
Of course I stuck my stock aircleaner and stuff back on to make it "look" legal, also hooked up the air hose from the passenger side valve cover to the turbo inlet.
Used my own smog chip profile.

Originally posted by ttypenssrider
ok,now i need to know who makes computer chips that
are similar but much better improved and that are made for big injectors(009's;50's),and i need it to pass emissions in ca.
of course i would also get a race chip too.

TurboDave has done quite well passing with 50s. Just another thought, the bay area is going enhanced soon, and dyno type emissions test will be required.

What type of emmissions does CA do now? If the dyno (enhanced emmissions) are the same as PA enhanced with dyno, our cars respond well to this. The enhanced in PA is by far easier to pass than the old PA system. It allows the engine to be run above idle where it's much more efficient. I had trouble passing on the old system with a well running stock engine. I pass the enhanced with flying colors at 50# fuel pressure!! :D

Enhanced emissions test for CA is ASM 5015 followed by ASM 2525. That means, 50% of the vehicle wieght is applied to the dyno and average emissions (over a specified time requirement)are measured at 15mph; and 25% of the vehicle weight is applied to the dyno and average emissions are measured at 25mph. Followed by a visual inspection, and functional test (as required) of malfunction indicator light, timing, fuel cap, fuel restrictor and visual liquid fuel leak.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
Enhanced emissions test for CA is ASM 5015 followed by ASM 2525. That means, 50% of the vehicle wieght is applied to the dyno and average emissions (over a specified time requirement)are measured at 15mph; and 25% of the vehicle weight is applied to the dyno and average emissions are measured at 25mph. Followed by a visual inspection, and functional test (as required) of malfunction indicator light, timing, fuel cap, fuel restrictor and visual liquid fuel leak.

Yup, they switched over to the enhanced dyno testing in Southern CA about 5 years ago :mad:

Actually, I found that my cars and others I'm acquanted with have found it MUCH easier to pass on the dyno with the car loaded as apposed to the old style tests where the car was idled for a period and then run up to 2500rpm or so for a while, all in pard :D

DAM THE CA SMOG CRAP! :mad: anyone want to buy an 84 non smog passing falling apart ford bronco 2 >.< i think that i am better off setting the dam thing on fire and pushing it off of a cliff. anywhoo the best thing to do in my opinon is to put the car back to stock get it smoged and then put all the cool stuff back onto your car and put the stock stuff in a box and save everything untill the next time you have to smog the car which will be in another couple of years anyway. But if you can get a smog chip thats even better. Then you would just have to worry about the visual inspection.

YES,I HEARD ABOUT BAY AREA HERE IN CA SWITCHING TO ENHANCED.
BUT I DONT SEE MUCH PROGRESS.MOST SMOG PLACES STILL HAVE NOT INSALLED A DYNOMOMETER,I THINK THATS HOW YOU SPELL IT.

Originally posted by Ash
DAM THE CA SMOG CRAP! :mad: anyone want to buy an 84 non smog passing falling apart ford bronco 2 >.< i think that i am better off setting the dam thing on fire and pushing it off of a cliff. anywhoo the best thing to do in my opinon is to put the car back to stock get it smoged and then put all the cool stuff back onto your car and put the stock stuff in a box and save everything untill the next time you have to smog the car which will be in another couple of years anyway. But if you can get a smog chip thats even better. Then you would just have to worry about the visual inspection.

Two comments come to mind regarding these statements, 1) when buying or selling a motor vehicle (in CA), the law (VC 24007 B1 & B2) says the seller shall provide the buyer with a valid passing smog certificate. Now, I won't debate the specific with you, but if you sell the vehicle without a smog cert, the buyer can seek restitution from you. Also, even if you have the buyer sigh a so called waiver, he/she cannot sign their rights away. Now i know many of you have had the buyer sign a waiver, but if the buyer decides to persue you in court, you'll most likely lose and have to make the vehicle pass.
2) sometimes, a smog chip may make things worse. The TR usually run pretty lean, and if your smog chip leans the mixture out more, the lean misfire that is created will drive the HC though the roof. Now just maybe, since we are talking about bigger injectors, lean will drive the emissions back to passing standards. But lean on factory injectors may create more problems (possible lean misfire or extremely elevated NOx results). Like TurboDave says, I too have found it easier to pass on the dyno than at idle and elevated idle (2500 rpm). Just watch how lean your emissions chip drives the mixture.

Originally posted by ttypenssrider
YES,I HEARD ABOUT BAY AREA HERE IN CA SWITCHING TO ENHANCED.
BUT I DONT SEE MUCH PROGRESS.MOST SMOG PLACES STILL HAVE NOT INSALLED A DYNOMOMETER,I THINK THATS HOW YOU SPELL IT.
The manufacturers of BAR90 analyzers are running out of parts to fix these machines (especially gas benches). The Bay area shops that are up to date, most likely have BAR97 analyzers, without the dyno. A very simple process to add the dyno and mod the software. If I owned a shop in the bay area, a sound business decision would mean I could start to make more money, once my complete BAR97 unit is up and running. The BAR has already set a sunset date for BAR90s and training facilities are gearing up to teach BAR 97 update courses. IMHO, I would hate to think that you would rely on a delay and then scramble if the sunset is actually implimented as scheduled.

To gofsbuick

I wasn's searous about selling my bronco I am just frustrated with it. Just about everything under the hood is dry rotted and I am having title problems with it so i cant even get the dam thing regestered in my name. Ca says that Va has the title and Va says that Ca has the title. The guy that i got it from is buying it back from me anyways. But it runs realy good.
I didnt know about that Ca law thing you pointed out. Thanks and yes i do have bigger fuel injectors In my GN 45 lb. and some of the stuff to bring it back to stock Just not everything and I can't find the smog chip that came with the car. So I am going to have to get one made. I know it passed smog last year from the preavous owner with the same set up. I am just hoping that It will pass this year.

50 States..

I'm in NC, and we have to face the emissions test EVERY YEAR! It would be a pain to change injectors, chip, etc. once a year, then change back. (No random road side tests, not yet, anyway) I noticed that Casper's "Ultrachip" has a "stock" setting. What does that do if you have larger injectors? Does the "stock" setting change the fueling curve for larger injectors, or it it just what it says, "stock", and requires stock injectors. It would be great if I could use a thumbwheel chip, and some bigger injectors, instead of the 30lb injectors I have now. (They pass the NC test, with the stock GM chip) The NC test, up to now, is a "no load" test, with varying RPM, or an OBD test, for newer cars. It is not required in all counties, so I guess some devious folks might register their car in a county with no testing requirement.

Ormand, we have the IM240 dyno test here in MD, and I fast passed last year with 72's (emissions were low enough for the first minute or so that the machine cut the test short and didn't do the rest of it). From my tinkering with 72's I think they can pass as well as smaller injectors, and so long as the ecm has peaknhold drivers I am confident that 83's would also pass on a 3.8 but I've never had the chance to make a chip for them. I think that 95's also stand a good chance of passing but they might be just a little too big on a 3.8 but ought to be okay on a 4.1 or bigger.

Back