You can type here any text you want

6 1/2 suggestions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

zam70

->ROGUE
Hey guys/gals. I've been out of the loop for awhile so I'm not quite up to speed on current products/companies. I'm in search of a great 6 1/2" for midbass only (500hzor so and down) My old standard choice was the a/d/s 6.5. always kicked my ass and out performed any other midbass I'd used. but......I'm curious to see what some of the main players are now.

SO.......what's the good ones now. No (upper) midrange reproduction needed, just 500 & down. Also, a shallow speaker would be nice but not an absolute. Links to any additional info would be appreciated.

TIA

Are you looking for 6.5's or the oversized 6.5's (7's)? If you want some "kick" a@% midbass go with the Dynaudio's one of the best 7" or oversized 6.5's EVER! But IMO :D. It should be no problem playing 500hz and below, but it won't matter you have a crossover that will do the filtering.

I like my JL XR's a lot. :)

My friends Focal Utopia's are very nice as well.

Another friends Rainbow Pro's are VERY nice!

Dynaudio makes awesome drivers, I've head lots of good things about Image Dynamics mids as well, and diamond.

One mid I would like to check out would be Adire's new mid/component set. Haven't heard any reviews on them, but I bet they will be good.

I'm not a big Rockford fan, but a buddy of mine has a set of 6 1/2's in his truck that are impressive. The Polk's aren't that bad. I agree with both mcss383 and TurboV6 on their recomendations also. It really just depends on the money and space you are willing to part with.

Mine are old school Blues 6 1/2's which AudioWizard has right now building my door panels. If bad luck doesn't strike again (as in rebuilding an almost complete pair) I will have them soon (fingers crossed). Maybe he'll post some pics of them.:p

Believe me, I'm not worried about space. Just wanted to know what's new. Anyone have a link to any sites on the stuff suggested?

Well not really...(I mean yes) but when it comes to front stage, I usually spend more cash there than any where else in the audio system. (front mid/tweeter is the USD A700, what are they..2800.00 or something) ust looking for a Great midbass. Wish I could hear some of these you posted.

Yeah, Rainbow's aren't very common. They are german and Arc Audio is the only one 'importing' them or whatever. www.ampman.com is the only place to buy them that I know of. I just happen to know a guy that has them. I would say sound characteristic wise they are similar to the JL XR's, with better detail.

Hopefully my friend will make the change to the Platinum line, then I can hear those too. hehe

front mid/tweeter is the USD A700, what are they..2800.00 or something) ust looking for a Great midbass. Wish I could hear some of these you posted.
2800.00??? They better come with the 100 per ft Kimber cable speaker wire for that price!!

I beleive there is a great difference between $100 speakers and $400, but I have a hard time believing there is a substantial and therefore justifiable difference in spending 2800 (or anything with 4 digits) for a set of comonents. And I heard Rainbow has sets for close to $10,000. Lets compare a $100 component to a $400 one. The major difference is materials and assembly quality. But for the most part the $4000 set is made of the same quaity material as the $400 set. Proclaimed audible advantages to spending $4000 as compared to $400 for a set of components is about the same as saying this top of the line head unit has better SQ than that top of the line one. It's all in the mind..... This is just my opinion of course.

GNandTTA:
Actually, I agree. (some what). This falls in the same category as high end speaker or signal cable. I for one believe there is a difference in the cable to an extent, but not until you get into the high priced stuff.

As far as speakers go...alot of what you pay for is for R&D and the "we have it , you don't" factor.

It comes down to how good is good? How much detail do you need? Home audio quality is possible in a car (all be it expensive) but point of the matter is, as soon as you start and drive the car, most of that high priced quality you payed for is now interrupted by extranious noise. So much for the suttle things you gain.

I personally got a helluva deal on the A700s ($400.00), otherwise, I probably wouldn't have them. In the past I have spent "stoopid" money on things (Velodyne servo subs) and felt it was worth every penny (the are still, to date, the best SQ sub I have ever experienced) It just depends on your goals I guess. (I was heavy into competition at the time)

Now...where's that damn midbass....

Originally posted by GNandTTA
And I heard Rainbow has sets for close to $10,000

$7,000 MSRP. :)

Actually I think you can get them less than that, thats just the MSRP. There are only a handful of people that have them in the US (i wonder why? haha). They come in a huge metal brief case and the spkrs and x-overs are set in formed foam. I would love to hear them just so I can say I've heard a $7k speaker. lol

But seriously, the GOOD component sets will run $600-1400 msrp. The JL 3-ways I have, have a msrp of ~$650 I believe (i didn't pay but $420). I'm still convinced these JL's are the best bang/$ out there for quality component set (well Focal PolyKevlar are good bang/$ too).

Oh zam I almost forgot MBQuart and their new QSD series, they are VERY nice as well. Check em out.

My 5/14 diamonds are awesome for mid bass, sso I would imagine the 6 1/2's would be even better. These components retail for over $450, I got em for $140 brand spankin new on E-bay. Highly recomend these, very clear crisp sound, and cool looking too. Later

$$$$$$$

Wow, thats just nuts.
I mean, to a point you can hear differences in components, but thats an insane amount of cash to drop.
Here I am thinking McIntosh makes expensive stuff...LOL.

When you are driving down the road (thats what cars are for ,right?) that component set is gonna sound just as good as a $400 set.
I guess if you like sitting still with your engine off and listening, then thats okay, but if I was gonna sit still Id be dropping that cash on a home system :D

Back