You can type here any text you want

6 speakers, need amp? (SUBS UNDER SEAT)?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

japearl

Confused Teenager
im buying tweeters, 5x7's and i have 2 12 inch subs. i want to install the subs under the seats, is it possible? could the 5x7's in that rear panel behind the door?

also, am i going to need a amp to plug 6 speakers? i would rather not have one, but is it neccesary? i looked at the back of my head unit, and i only have a L and R plug entrance. either reply here, or email me. either would be great. thanks guys.

Subs under the seat of your GN? No, its not possible.

The 5x7s can go behind the door.

You can run 6 speakers off a head unit as long as the nominal load is 4ohms or greater. Where are you wanting to put the tweeters? Are the 5x7's coaxial? If not, then just head over to www.partsexpress.com and pick up a 2-way crossover network with a x-over freq of about 3000 Hz and wire the tweets to the highpass and the 5x7 to the lowpass sections (with the input coming from your radio).

EDIT: If you want subs, you HAVE to have an amp to power them, there isn't any way around it.

other places for subs?

where else can i place my subs? im not a big fan of having "bump in the trunk". if anyone else has placed their subs somewhere, drop me a line. thanks

I had 8" sub/midbass in the rear armrest area. I have the baffle and grills for sale, you would need to form an enclosure out of fiberglass to seal them up, or possibly just run them free-air. Either way, you will have to deaden and isolate (foam will work) the panels to reduce/eliminate rattles. I had a lot of buzzes and rattles with them in there at higher volumes with no deadening on them (mine were going free-air).

Another fairly easy inside the car place for subs is to remove the back seat and put them there....but unless the car is full competition its pretty lame IMO to do that.

You could go with Focal's 5WS 5" sub and run a pair in each door. You will have to spend a lot of time sealing the door and deadening everything in it. The downside to these is that your bottem end will extend only to the mid-upper 40Hz range. To get subbass you would still need to run a larger sub elsewhere.

Other than that....the only other ways are to do MASSIVE custom work to make a sub fit elsewhere in the cab. Gary Biggs has a 10" L7 in the glovebox area. He eliminated the a/c and heater and formed a spherical enclosure in the engine bay where the heater/ac was for the box.

You are aware though that you can have 'bass up front' with a sub in the trunk? It all comes down to reducing vibrations in the car and having a solid front stage with strong mid-bass. If you have that, then you will swear the sub is in the front of the car. :)

Back