6 speed Manual Swap

tom robison

ALL UP IN THEM GUTZ
About six months ago I sold a 700whp Z06 corvette and bought another 87 GN that was pretty close to stock, but needed some love. I installed new interior, wheel and tires, all billet trans, alky kit, 3” atr exhaust… turned it into a fun street car. Well the motor didn’t last long and developed at rod knock, so an all aluminum stage 2 found its way in with a HPT 6466 turbo. The car was done , but was missing something. I did some research and found some threads on here about a manual swap, which is what I miss about the old vette.
IMG_0890.jpeg

I contacted Silver Sport Transmission for a quote on a complete swap setup. I purchased the majority of parts from them,. I bought the pedal from Sick Speed Monte, Tremec T56 Magnum trans from Summit and flywheel from Advanced Adapters.
IMG_3013.jpeg

I started my removing the interior and 200r4 trans, pulling the steering column and brake pedal. I modded the brake pedal, cut the hole in the fire wall and installed the third pedal per the instruction from Sick Speed Monte.
IMG_3017.jpeg
IMG_3018.jpeg
IMG_3020.jpeg
IMG_3023.jpeg

The Silver Sport kit comes with complete swap manual and drawing to cut the floor for trans and shifter to fit.
IMG_3025.jpeg
IMG_3026.jpeg

I modded my factory crossmember instead of buying the Silver Sport crossmember to save about $350.00. The trans is a tight fit, but is an easy swap. I installed the bell housing with the trans to get measurements for my new driveshaft. The driveshaft took a couple days from my local shop , I also had then get me a new rearend yoke for 1350 joints to make things a little stronger.
img_3024-jpeg.397067

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpeg
    IMG_3024.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3014.jpeg
    IMG_3014.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
IMG_3029.jpeg

With everything mocked up I finished putting the interior back in and made a new shifter plate to finish it out.
IMG_3030.jpeg

I am waiting for my Flywheel to show up, which should be sometime next week. I’m hoping by next weekend to have this complete and drivable.

I likey! :D
I swapped a Tremec into my '79 Malibu about a decade and a half ago for nearly the same reason, the thrill of rowing the gears ( and for me the addition of an overdrive). It does make you realize the need for cupholders after adding a stick, you will not be holding a fountain soda pop between your thighs and "pedalling" at the same time.

Like I tell my Mustang buddies.
If you have time to shift, your car’s too slow. It’s all I can do to floor it and hang on for dear life. Lol
It looks great and I’m sure it’ll be a blast.

I received the new billet flywheel last Friday and proceeded to put things together for the final assembly. Upon installing the clutch, I realized that they sent me a clutch for a large flywheel and not the small flywheel that the Buick v6 uses. I contacted McLeod clutch about my problem and got the correct part number for the series clutch I was sold. I contacted silver sport for the correct cam, it was on back order till next month. They refunded my money because I did not want to wait and ordered the upgraded 1000hp unit from summit racing and had it the next day. I finished up the install this past Sunday and ran it through the gears on the lift. I hope to take it for its maiden voyage this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_3043.jpeg
    IMG_3043.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3045.jpeg
    IMG_3045.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12