.63 vs .85 exhaust housing

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
What are the general pros and cons of the .63 vs the .85 exhaust wheel housings?

My car has too much torque, too fast. I am going to try a larger exaust housing, .85. My converter must be too loose. A turbine housing change is easier. Turbo will be a little more efficient, and spool up a little higher in rpm, but maby 20hp more at the top. Stock converter=.63, .....4.1 motor with a high stall converter=.85. Just a guess. Smaller=faster running turbo larger=slower running turbo, more efficient. TTA and GNX came with .85 housings. GN-.63....Max boost may be a little higher with larger housing, before the turbo gets out of it's range. With different turbo/converter/motor/head combos, all changes. This is just another way to fine tune your combo.

What does that mean? Well, if I had only one car, and ate beans for dinner, I would not risk high boost. But TRs are a fun toy for me, and I run high boost at the track, knowing at any time, my motor, or head gaskets may give up. Thats racing! It costs $$. I am not rich, but if I had all the money I wasted on cars, I would waste it on cars.

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
What are the general pros and cons of the .63 vs the .85 exhaust wheel housings?

.63 will have quicker spoolup charactoristics than a .85 reguardless of what convertor is being used. .85 housing will pull more MPH also. I have never tried to do a comparision on how much more boost, if any, you can run with a .85 vs. .63. They have all developed enough boost to destroy what they are bolted on to.

i also have the same problem with my tta.i blow away the dr's on the street and at the track.9"a/c convertor and pt52 turbo.
i am going to try and soften up the bottom with an 85 housing.it will be interesting to feel the difference.very good post.

Hopefully I will be able to tell some difference, I just took off the .85 housing and as soon as I get the WG hole opened up to 1 1/8" on the .63, I'll put it on, this is on a GT35R turbo.
With the .85 housing, it would take several seconds to build up boost, but at 45-60mph it would smoke the tires on the street.

A 2700 stall is not good for a big turbo. What did you expect? I hope the smaller housing will get em spinning. I'm sure it will help!

Originally posted by turbo2nr
A 2700 stall is not good for a big turbo. What did you expect? I hope the smaller housing will get em spinning. I'm sure it will help!
I hope so too, I'm really not sure just how big this turbo is, I thought it was comparable to a PT51/54/60, just the next size up from a GT32 or TE44, so I wasn't expecting it to take a lot to spool it up, but getting a higher stall convertor is not out of the question either. It should support around 550-600hp.

Well, just tried out a .85 housing on a TE-61. Spoolup is still fast, but not too fast. 60' dropped from 1.62 to 1.54. I can leave harder and not spin right out the hole. Nice for a few bucks. Picked up some time (et) even with less boost.:)