You can type here any text you want

70mm throttle body vs stock throttle body

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I've been running my Kenne Bell polished 70mmtb and plenum since they first made them available around 17 years ago. It never caused any problems ever. As far as the bling factor or the cool guy parts thoughts go,only a handful of people have ever seen my engine in that time.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would run around with the hood off if their engine ran and looked as good as mine. Just saying..LOL

Would you be better off sending your Stock T.B. off to Steve Monroe for boring and new seals then, and saving a few dollars?

I've been running my Kenne Bell polished 70mmtb and plenum since they first made them available around 17 years ago. It never caused any problems ever. As far as the bling factor or the cool guy parts thoughts go,only a handful of people have ever seen my engine in that time.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would run around with the hood off if their engine ran and looked as good as mine. Just saying..LOL

Whitehot1, do you mean like this ??

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    959.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 284
At what point might the would there be a restriction? How much does the reduction of 1/2" disrupt or cause turbulance in the air flow entering the engine? In my case I have 3" intercooler pipes and the throttle body steps down to 62mm. Is there any gain to be had by increasing the throttle body size to match the size of other components prior to it? BTW this is on a high 9 second car, shifting at 6300.

Last edited:
I've personally wondered about the power plates. People spend hundreds of dollars porting an intake, then put a plate in the way of all that open intake. Can the boost be turned up because its being restricted? When I had my car running however, I always had an RJC plate and 70mm throttle body. Ran great.

At what point might the would there be a restriction? How much does the reduction of 1/2" disrupt or cause turbulance in the air flow entering the engine? In my case I have 3" intercooler pipes and the throttle body steps down to 62mm. Is there any gain to be had by increasing the throttle body size to match the size of other components prior to it? BTW this is on a high 9 second car, shifting at 6300.
It's been my understanding that the reduced section of the throttle body will increase the velocity, which may be needed in some applications and less needed in other applications, depending on the amount of air flow your engine requires. We probably can negate any small ill effects by our tune. The dog house is designed to turn the air down w/o a lot of turbulence. If turbulence becomes an issue, we raise the d/h w/a spacer to increase the stored volume of air and give the air room to turn into the runners.
As far as the p/p is concerned, I was told it was not needed for engines producing 600+hp. That rule of thumb seems to fit as I run one on a backup engine that makes less than 500hp and on the primary I don't, but I do use a 1" spacer.

So, from what I've read if there is no gain in the T.B. size and you want to freshen up the stock one by porting it to 62mm and new seals and boring the plenum to match and buying a new P.P. and gaskets you could have around $350. into it, or go for the 70mm with everything for $520. and it's 3" so it all mates up to the intercooler pipes. This is what I'm on the fence about.

I've personally wondered about the power plates. People spend hundreds of dollars porting an intake, then put a plate in the way of all that open intake. Can the boost be turned up because its being restricted?
we have cars up here than run the plate and cars that don't all strong combo's.from my personal observation pulling the plugs they plugs are more uniform with the plate and I will tell you the plate will not slow you down,i wont run without one on these cars especially if running alky.the plate can be had with the larger throttle body or stock so the money is an even wash and the cost of the spacer just makes the cost go up even more.

Would you be better off sending your Stock T.B. off to Steve Monroe for boring and new seals then, and saving a few dollars?
This is exactly what I did. Turned out pretty nice!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back