You can type here any text you want

79 carb to 83 plenum?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
"Shouldn't have any issues with it."

I bought a fel-pro gasket # 60151 for a carb mounting 78-80 v6 231 turbo engine and it don't fit! Its to narrow and wont seal the sides of the carb bottom plate on this 83 plenum. Should I get one for a 83 year?

Take the carb and plenum with you to the parts store and dig through the gaskets. I've had to do that myself before to find the right one. The one you need should be at least 1/4" thick and have plastic spacers in each bolt hole. One other trick is to replace the back 2 bolts with studs. It helps you locate the gasket and carb when you start putting things together.

The '83 plenum was set up for electric EFE heater grids, that's why it has the large opening instead of four holes match the carb. It also uses a different style heating system. Instead of coolant, it uses EGR. If you aren't using the plenum heat or EGR, then it will work.

Things may be easier if you can find the right plenum.

The '83 plenum was set up for electric EFE heater grids, that's why it has the large opening instead of four holes match the carb. It also uses a different style heating system. Instead of coolant, it uses EGR. If you aren't using the plenum heat or EGR, then it will work.

Things may be easier if you can find the right plenum.
I took the EGR off the plenum. Cut the center bridge and vane (whatever) off the plenum and smoothed the inside all up and then found out my 79 mounting gasket wouldn't work. I'll get an 83 and see if it works. Might have to do like Charlie said and take the plenum to the parts store with me. I definitely want to use the 79 carb. All the holes n the plenum I'll block off. Need to get all my parts together and then take the carb, plenum and turbo off and install new turbo, plenum and old 79 carb. :)

Back