You can type here any text you want

79 regal...is it worth it?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
hi all, im new to the forum. someone local to me is selling a 79 regal with a 3.8 turbo for $200. i dont know much about these motors at all. i have an 85 cutlass and considered buying the 3.8turbo, freshen it up, and swap in place of my weak 307. So basically are these motors worth it? or should i just do a v8...

thanks,

-supreme

Definitely pick it up if it's all there. But if the 79 isn't in too bad of shape I would fix it up for sure. What would you pay more for? A cutlass with a funky carbed turbo motor or a 79 regal sport coupe with the ballzy 3.8 turbo;) But if the car isn't close to saveable, pick it up, put the motor and trans in your car, unless you have an OD trans then keep that. If you decide to part it out, check if the radiator support (core support) is aluminum. I would like first dibs on it. Either way you will have fun with buick turbo power!

it seems to be all there, the motor and the th350 trans are out of it, the exterior seems to have a little bit of rust/faded paint, but the interior seems ok. i'll look at it tomarrow and see if its worth it.

OUT OF IT as in it's not there? Even if so, would still be an ok deal. You can use any rwd v6 as long as it's 78-up. Any BOP 350 trans would work, just have to get the correct converter (or just upgrade and get it over with). Then all you would have to do is get a carb turbo setup. That would be the only thing you would really have to look for. Save up for the setup, then start to build a bad azz 6 to drop in. Don't worry about getting a turbo crank, an n/a crank and some 82-up rods should be fine for something like this. If it was here, i'd buy it for sure!

the motor and trans come with it just not in it, oh and it comes with a boatload of parts including an extra turbo crank and 2 turbo units.i looked at the rad support briefly it was rusted so im guessing its not aluminum. im picking it up tomorrow!

damn that sounds like a good deal! You could sell that turbo crank if it's good and get your money back right there. Keep the turbo for a spare though in case something happens to the other one. I know I got a sfi car but I still want a carbed car. They're just different:cool: Have fun, do it right, you'll love it when you get it finished and work the bugs out. Lots of good guys on the board and remember, you can use GN suspension parts and use all the same braces also.

i got a bunch of parts including the engine and tranny today, i love it. im gonna pick up the car early next week. thanks for the info, im sure i will have tons of fun, i cant wait to get started on it!

That is a good deal, I just picked up my '79 for the same price, it's a Limited with no motor or interior. I got a hot-air turbo car that is badly rotted as a donor car. I just like the single headlight look, not a common car anymore.

That is a good deal, I just picked up my '79 for the same price, it's a Limited with no motor or interior. I got a hot-air turbo car that is badly rotted as a donor car. I just like the single headlight look, not a common car anymore.

nice, im not a big fan of the single head light, i prefer the double, but to each their own. i just picked the car up today, its pretty solid minus the bottom of the 2 rear quarters which arent tooo bad. im considering restoring it after i do up my cutlass :cool:

JC whitney sells lower quarter patches for 78-80 regals. Gonna be a good time, you should do a frame off. Your friends will love you for it:biggrin:

nice, im not a big fan of the single head light, i prefer the double, but to each their own. i just picked the car up today, its pretty solid minus the bottom of the 2 rear quarters which arent tooo bad. im considering restoring it after i do up my cutlass :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I like the dual headlights also, I still have my WE4, I actually got the '79 because I don't want to race the WE4, and am going to bring it back to stock! Good luck with yours It is a good find!

so whats the main diffrence between the turbo crank and the reguler one is one just forged and the other cast

does anyone know anything about these rims? i did some research and havent found anything on them, just wondering if theyre rare or stocks on the TR's.
IMAGE_00042.jpg

My friend had them on his car. Those might be saveable by the looks of it. I don't know much about the wheels though. Might be a job for b4black or turbofish to give some background on.

My friend had them on his car. Those might be saveable by the looks of it. I don't know much about the wheels though. Might be a job for b4black or turbofish to give some background on.

yeah the wheels are in nice shape, im gonna sand blast them and repaint. :cool:

I had a 1984 Buick Somerset Regal limited that came with those same rims. People kept stealing the caps and outter rims. They are very nice looking well kept and polished. The inner was painted aluminum on top of some kind of rubber material. I never seen anything like them again until your posted pic.

Back