You can type here any text you want

8.5" Western wheels and clearance issues

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
I just put a set of the T look-a-like 8.5" Western wheels on my 1987 T with the aluminum brake drums. I'm running a MT drag radial in 275-60-15 and they look as though with a hard launch the tires are going to scrub the wheel well trim...anyone else run this combo and have clearance issues?

Had them on Melissa's old WE4 .. Backed out of the driveway EASY and they rubbed bad.. Melissa wouldn't even drive the car because they stuck out some :p Didn't want to be confused with the Camaro "redneck look" :biggrin:

Attachments

• melT8.5.JPG
    melT8.5.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 160
Yeah, same problem here. I put on Moog Cargo Coils spring with air bags in them. Still had slight rubbing going over bumps with no air in the bags. I finally went with cast iron brake drums to completely solve the problem. The aluminum drum flange thickness is significantly more than the cast iron. Made all the difference in the world. HTH.

I run them, have a whole extra set even. I ran a 275/50-15 which as you know is a good 2" wider than the 60's, and had no rubbing issues anywhere. They actually are a absolute perfect fit on the car, and look sick i think.
Gary

I've got a set of these for mine and haven't installed them yet. Have a 3&5/8 backspacing. What is your backspacing and where were they rubbing?

They don't look like they are going to rub when driving. I have not launched hard with them yet...that's what I'm concerned about. IMO they don't stick out to the point of being NASCAR, but they are a tad wider with the aluminum drums!

Back