You can type here any text you want

8.5???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

t-typex1

Darkside Member
I've been playing with the search, but cant find what Im looking for.:confused: How do I make sure this rear end is an 8.5 without opening it. Any tell-tale features Im not remembering??? Thanks for any help.

The shape of the rear will tell - can you post a pic of it?

There is a partial square like chunk cast in the good 8.5" rear about the 5 and 7 o'clock position that is different from the shape of the metal in other rears in the same place.

should be able to find the casting number on the front of the axle, passenger side and then google that number.

Can see one of the tab-like chunks of metal I am talking about next to the cover bolt in this pic

Attachments

• Picture 245.jpg
    Picture 245.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 69
an 8.5 is noticably bigger than a 7.5 in almost every aspect.
but the easiest single way to tell an 8.5 from any other rear end is to look for the cast in "ears" on the bottom of the center hosung to each side of the cover. the 7.5 is just round there, where the 8.5 has a triangular "ear" that runs parallel with the ground on either side of the cover.
also, the 7.5 cover is more of an oval, and the 8.5 cover is more round. but both covers are held on by 10 bolts.

Thanks to all. It has the extra tabs on both sides on the bottom, so I do believe it is an 8.5. Just wanted to be sure.

Back