You can type here any text you want

82 regal question!! Please help!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fuzzygsxr

I have an 82 t-type with broken exhaust manifold and want to put headers on it. Where can I find headers for an 82 carb car??? Are there some that are interchangeable?

I believe 83 is a direct swap. I'm not real sure about the 84/85 models. The 83/84/85 have factory stubby type headers, not like the cast type you currently have. Maybe someone else can chime in to verify.

Well I just need a good pic because the pics of the project car looks like the headers would work just the down pipe is diff leading to the cat, and it isn't the flex tube but instead the flang tube.

I have heard of the 83 stock headers interchanging but I didn't know about any thing else fitting, plus a grand is a lot to spend on arp headers or 600 for poston's not knowing if they will work even!

I believe the 83 down pipe is the same as the 82. The 84/85 is noticeably different with the wire mesh on the top and I don't believe it will work. I have no idea who sells headers other than the two you already mentioned. I guess it depends on what your intentions are as to how much you want to spend.

Can you freshen me up on the lingo? The down pipe is the outlet for the exhaust from turbo to cat and the up pipe is from the exhaust to the turbo and the cross over is the pipe conecting the two manifolds right?

I see four options:

1. Presuming it's the driver's side, get a manifold off any 81/87 NA RWD 3.8 engine. Cheapest and easiest

2. Get cast iron manifolds off a 79/80 Turbo V6. Oxyegn sensor bung will need to be added. Heavy and difficult to find, but won't crack and retain heat well. (This is what I do)

3. Used 83/85 headers. Prone to cracking, but otherwise shomewhat cheap and easy. May need repairs.

4. New 83/85 headers. Way overpriced for what you are getting.

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/exhaust.htm

Well number one where would I find used headers, and number two PLEASE tell me those 1/4 miles were when it was stock and not after all the mod's!! That is on the 83 t-type.

The For Sale section on this board is a good place to look. If you go with any other than your current manifolds, you will need change the crossover pipe as well. You can keep you current up-pipe with the headers.

Stock an 82/83 Turbo Regal is good for about high 16's in the ¼ mile. They were rated at a realistic 180 hp. I ran a 14.85 this year, ~260 hp. My only significat mods are a looser converter, MSD BTM and the alcohol injection. The motor itself is stock down to the original, worn out valve springs.

fuzzygsxr,
I agree with rich, post an ad in the parts wanted section once you settle on what you want.

Rich,
I took a look at your web page and noticed that the 82 header outputs are significantly smaller in diameter than the others. Are there any significant gains of upgrading? I am running the 82's. I'm assuming 82's will develop a higher velocity of heat flow which may quicken spooling. I suspect if I upgraded to 83's + and swapped the crossover I would be looking at another converter to compensate the offset. Not that I probably need one anyway. Are there other stock TC's out there that could be good donors for our application? Or even considered upgrades for low bucks from the local pick-n-pull?? If memory serves me right a TC from a 4 cyl chevy vega would provide pretty good stall behind a sb chebby.

Are all the TC's the same from 79/82? If not, that might help to determine which set of manifolds to find to match things together. I think the 83's have more stall than the 82's.

Well that helps alot on what I would want to look for. I am going to have my old manifolds fixed but think I would like to find a set of headers too!

Talking about 1/4 mile times, how do the GN's run mid 12's so easily. Does FI have that much to do with it? I would like to get mine in mid twelves and then be happy, but will this thing be worth some big cash some day to where putting it back to as stock as poss would be best?

On my limited knowledge thus far, I'd have to say yes. Fuel injection & intercooling make a world of difference. Fred Carrado known as fc227 was the only carbed set up getting into the 12's I am aware of. I'm sure he would help you out. I recently checked his web page where he had a build up what he did, but he has since replaced it with info on the 86 GN he is currently running.

http://www.mindspring.com/~fc227/.htm

Cool. I think I may have some ideas as to how to help this thing run better but I don't want to tear it up if I will f up the resale value! Do you smell what I am steppin in?

The unfortunate thing with these cars (carbed) they don't seem to have too much resale value unless you have a pristene 82 GN (one sold for 13k on ebay this week). I have seen pristene low mileage (25-30k) 82 and 83 T Types on ebay go for cheap (2/4 k). If that were an 87, it could have been 15/16k. You might look around to see what the value of yours is. I'd hate to see you try to preserve something that may not be worth a whole lot (except to us) and miss out on what you really want to do to it. You can always pick up additional parts and modify them while storing the stock ones for future install for resale. That is just in case these cars start bringing in more money someday. There are several others on the board who have had these carbed cars for many years and could give you a more definitive answer. These are just my thoughts of what I've seen over the last couple of years as I am still new to this as well. Not sure that helps answer your question.

Spend sometime on B4Blacks web page, there is an enormous amount of info that would help you learn more about these carbed cars. As I had mentioned earier Fred Carrado has done very well with his in the 1/4 mile. I think it's turbofish38 that has a lot of experience with these in road racing or something along those lines. Those three people along with your own ideas should give you what you need to reach 12's.

When I put '83 tube headers on my '82, I didn't notice any gains. It's quite possible that the smaller ID '82 manifolds are best on a near stock car. No one has ever done any back to back comparisons. After doing research, I feel the 1979/80 cast manifolds where the best choice for me.

May goal for my '83 is stock-like 87 GN times - low 14's. I'm almost there and then I'll be done. A larger downpipe, re-worked turbo and lots more tuning.

Getting an 86/87 into the 12's is easy because that only taking a little more than a second off stock times. I've knocked 2 full seconds off stock times. Their advantge isn't just fuel injection and the intercooler. It's a completly better engine management system that includes many more sensor making it more efficient and allwoing it to run more boost.

My next project is getting a Carb/Turbo into the 12's. I'm starting with a 4.1 shortblock with ported heads.

I would bet a properly modified '82 TR would bring more $ than a stocker. Timeslips are key - no ricer "it run 12's" with no proof. :)

I am still diligently working on my car to get it 100% cloned in stock form. Once I achieve that milestone I then need to learn how to tune a carburated car and then I'll start modifying it. For the interm I just want it to be a reliable driver, nothing fancy.

Rich, you are much further along in your endeavor than I am, please keep us informed on your progress or maybe a note if you have updated your web page. I always enjoy looking through your site, there's so much info. If it weren't for people like yourself and these boards I can't imagine how expensive the learning curve could have cost.

On a side note, my downpipe is lightly touching the manifold on one side and the A/C box on the other. I don't see my car being able to fit a bigger downpipe unless I do some massaging or re-routing with the new one.

Thanks guys!!! I bet with a little tuning like I would do to a drag race bike I could make the "more boost" problem go away. ON a bike you can get a little smaller timing chain or tension it a little more to get the valve train to run smoother, and then maybe do a little porting on the head for fuel, with a little bigger jet in the carb to fatten it up, I think I can possibly do it. Maybe not 12's but respectable 13's till I want to yank the motor.

I only bought the car for 300 bucks and the body is in really good shape, interior sun faded but nothing major!

I wonder if I had headers made if they would help, and open up the exhaust ports on the head how much better that would be? Also how much does removing the smog BS help, or does it hurt removing it?

Hey b4black...I have a question, why does my car have the turbo badge on the side with the arrow behind the 6? Does this have any signifigance? Just currious, because who every originally owened it didn't drive it much, nor did they treat it bad. I just wanted to be sure I didn't have some rare car here.

Exhaust manifolds really aren't the weak point. I suspect the downpipe is a bigger problem. I'm trying to get ATR to make a better one, but they don't think enough people want them. :(

Forget Chevy stuff like headers, cams, 4.10 gears, bigger carbs, etc. Concentrate on running more boost and less knock for now. This will give you your biggest band for buck.

Removing the SMOG will do nothing for you excpet free up some space in the engine compartment. Your factory catalytic converter won't work without though.

'82 Sport Coupes are somewhat rare, but really in the shadow of the 86/87 Turbo Buicks. This should explain the emblem:
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/v6logo.htm

What is wrong with the down pipe? I have a friend that is a chassis builder for some pretty BA cars, so he could possibly help me fab a new one if I knew the down fall of it.

More boost less knock wouldn't that mean fattin up the fuel to accomidate more air?? Remember I am new to this please!

Oh and the cat has been mostly hollowed out so no problem there!

Yeah I read all that and it just sounded as if they didn't have that badge in 82 so much except for the GN's. My emblems go behind instead of infront, so just a thought, but thanks.

Back