You can type here any text you want

82 wastegate actuator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blacknight80

My wastegate actuator won't hold a vacuum and when I blow into it the Line and plug the other the air passes right around the rod. Where can I get a replacement? What should I ask for at the parts store? Does a wastegate from another application work?

Thanks

Don't worry about the rod side. If the other end holds pressure it'll work for testing. The side the rod comes out of can be plugged and won't cause an issue.;)

I can blow and suck on either side of the actuator and air is leaking right through past the rod. Forgive my stupidity if I am misunderstanding what you are trying to tell me. As you can tell I'm very green at all this turbo stuff.

One side of the actuator is connected to a nipple on the top the plenum, right between the carb and turbo. That line is not needed and you should cap off the nipple. Otherwise, it's just a big vacuum leak.

The other port should have a hose going to a nipple on the turbo compressor 'foot' (where the turbo bolts to the intake manifold). The diaphragm in the actuators often leak. As it is, your actuator cannot control boost. You engine is likely overboosting, which is causing it to knock severely, which then pulls a ton of timing and will make it feel like there is no top end power.

This is a deadly situation for your motor. If you need to drive the car, then I would recommend unhooking the actuator and letting the wastegate open. This will be safe until you find another actuator.

Keep asking questions. We don't mind helping. (Frankly, it was getting a little boring around here lately ;) )

PS- There are two systems on the Turbo V6 that do not 'fail-safe' and probably explain most blown motors.
  1. If the actuator leaks, then the turbo overboosts.
  2. If the knock sensor fails, then there is no timing retard.
These engines, even at factory boost levels, will knock and rely on the knock sensor to pull timing. Actually, almost all modern cars are set up this way. Maximum fuel economy occurs with the timing advanced so far that engines will knock some at WOT.

It is a project so it is parked until I'm confident that the motor is solid. As you can see from all of my posts this thing is a mess. Is there a specific actuator I should be asking for?

I'm afraid that my knock sensor may be shot. The contact is loose in the body of the sensor

I haven't bought an actuator in a long time, so I don't know where to get one. Any actuator for a 1979-83 Turbo V6 should fit, except maybe not one for a Riviera (they were FWD). Some may only have one port, but that's OK. Oh and 1981 turbo's used a reverse style (normally open) wastegate and actuator, so stay away from that.

They can be rebuilt by a turbo shop.

The 1978/82 knock sensor is an early style and unfortunately expensive. :(

From what the guys at the 301 garage say, G pop can rebuild the actuator. I'd send them a note to make sure but that would be the easiest.

Back