84 hot air car

smallblock500

I have a 84 GN car that I started working on the car runs but its pretty bad. I have no idea what has been done to the car other then the kenne bell FPR. I see their has been quite a bit of wire splicing down by the pcm and the alum plate that covers the chip is missing. How can I tell if this car has the 86+ pcm swapped into it? and how can I tell what chip is it in?

sticker on the pcm says service number 1226459 and the sticker on the chip says CMM 1865 on the bottom of the chip says philippines 8433.

my advice to you. Get a service manual and start tracing wires. Wiring issues need addressed or nothing works correctly and it can get costly and frustrating

As mentioned above, good advice. Even better advice would be, swap all that to 86-87. Find an interior harness while you're at it and get rid of all the splice shit. Good luck man.

Found it was running bad due to wet spark plugs. just for a test I removed them and sand blasted them and it runs like a brand new car now. it does still foul the plugs pretty quick but that might be because the TPS is whompy and not reading right. It does have a set of 42# injectors in it so I'm pretty sure it has a chip in it I also found another chip in the center console of the car that wont even start the car.

The plans are to fab up a "remote" turbo set up and put it up front like the 86+ cars are and run something like a 67MM turbo on it with an intercooler. might even go with a FuelTech standalone pcm in it for so we can get a good tune on it. Looking foward to getting the car running and strapped down to my chassis dyno and seeing what kinda power we can get from this little motor. With a good turbo and a good tune how much power is this stock bottom end good for?

it's all about tune, fuel delivery, efficient spark. One person says it best and reminds me of this ALL the time. It takes basic functions (spark, fuel, air) to make them run. However, if you get too caught up in overlooking the 3 things just mentioned being fed effectively you will have nothing but problems. A stock bottom end will take a little power as long as tune is perfect. Not trying to be negative Nancy. just make sure you have 100% effective fuel, spark, and air delivery and you have make tons of power. Stare one of them......problems. My reasonably built hot air car with a selective tune was nearing 400hp. That was pretty respectable for a stock bottom end... I changed after this point to billet stuff, approaching 700hp.

I know all to well about the fuel,air,spark we have a mustang with a 427 "SBF" dart block making just over 1000whp spinning the tires on the dyno as well as a 2 door 1st gen neon with SRT4 swap in progress and his had has a pinto with a 276Ci 4 cly boat motor that should make close to 1000whp when its done. The tuning and building end of it is the easy part I just dont know much about these cars and how much abuse the stock bottom end will hold. You said you made close to 400hp is that at the flywheel or at the tire? Also what type of dyno are you using? 400whp on a dyno jet is about 350ish on my mustang dyno.

another question is if we do build a turbo set up for this car what do we do about a throttle body? We have a TIG and can weld an elbow and flange to the stock intake and go that route or does someone make an aftermarket intake with a throttle body on it? Maybe a bolt on kit for a throttle body?

chassis dyno. I'd say a little more loss than 50 on our cars. Depends on all sorts of stuff which you are well aware of..

You can swap to an 86/87 instake, not sure if the accessories will be a problem and or throttle and tv cable.