8445 Head Scaned

X Ray

The GNX changed my life!
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I thought I would share with you some of the scanning technology we use where I work. We needed demonstration parts for a show and tell event and they asked me if it would be any problem using my 231 head (It is small in size and has some intricate shapes). Sounded good to me
We used a Steinbichler T-Scan. The one picture is the Scanner the other is the Tracker. It uses a form of GPS to know where the scanner is at all times. The accuracy is really really good (.0002MM).
The first part pictures are the stock head painted primer for the show but it does not need to be painted for this scanner to work like some systems. The first scan picture shows multiple colors for all the overlapping scans that were performed. The final pictures show the best fit of the data creating the point cloud. This data is used to create the final Surfaces and Geometry needed for creating a Parametric Model.
The point cloud data, as good as it looks, is not a Parametric Model so you cannot work from it(like creating a cutter path) you need to do additional work for that.
You could take this data and compare it to data you get from another head and see the differences. Like comparing this to a reworked head (Champion Irons) or even see the differences from chamber to chamber.
Hope you enjoyed this ….rick

Attachments

• Head 004.JPG
    Head 004.JPG
    594.2 KB · Views: 377
  • Head 006.JPG
    Head 006.JPG
    588.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Head 002.JPG
    Head 002.JPG
    743.4 KB · Views: 368
  • Head 003.JPG
    Head 003.JPG
    801.7 KB · Views: 366
  • Head_03.JPG
    Head_03.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 371
  • Head_01.JPG
    Head_01.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 373
  • Head_02.JPG
    Head_02.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
The dental lab world have been turned upside down with digital scanning and milling restorations. It pretty amazing the detail of scanners. I see no reason someone with the right equipment couldn't make printed patterns of heads and blocks then cast them in either al or iron. Billet blanks could even be milled. Final finishing would be minimal.

Adding more pictures...

Attachments

• 8445head1.jpg
    8445head1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • 8445head2.jpg
    8445head2.jpg
    728.9 KB · Views: 253
Way cool Rick. Is that accuracy correct, two tenths of a micron? That is tiny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is awesome! Do you happen to have a file you can share with us that have design software capable of using this? Or is this for show and tell only?

Thanks, Dan

Way cool Rick. Is that accuracy correct, two tenths of a micron? That is tiny.

That is what I was told....to be honest even if I was off by one extra zero...... the designer will have a hard time making the part as exact as the scan. Yes it is accurate.

This is awesome! Do you happen to have a file you can share with us that have design software capable of using this? Or is this for show and tell only?

Thanks, Dan

This is show and tell only the equipment and software needed are extremely expensive....

The best dental scanners are now in the 10 micron range. That's probably the range of that scanner, the website doesn't give the spec on the accuracy.

The best dental scanners are now in the 10 micron range. That's probably the range of that scanner, the website doesn't give the spec on the accuracy.

I just checked and it is 2 microns.....not two tenths...

Two microns is way smaller than any machined surface tolerance on the cylinder head. That's a very nice scanner.

If the file is open software anyone could produce a product. It would be interesting to see what the cost would be to have the file printed in a castable resin or to be milled by a facility that has equipment large enough.