You can type here any text you want

85 grand national wont start please help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

billygeg

I have a 85 GN that I am restoring. The car was towed to my home. The guy I bought it from said it had old gas and I had to run it out but the only way to start it was to spray starting fluid in the throttle. He started it with starting fluid and the car ran for about ten minutes till we shut it off. I havent had it started since. Ive tried spraying the starting fluid but it runs for a few seconds till the gas runs dry then dies. I checked the gas valve at the fuel rail and I have nothing but I hear the fuel pump run when I turn the ignition on. I took off the line at the top of the fuel filter and got nothing. So I took the line off the bottom of the filter and there was the gas. So right away, I was all happy and switched the filter thinking it must be really clogged. Guess what? Still nothing! Any ideas? I dont know much about fuel pumps but being its electric shouldnt it just die if its no good or do they actually lose pressure power as they get older? Im stumped here! Any ideas Tricks you guys could help me out with?

If it 's all original and you don't see the fuel leaking anywhere when the pump runs, It might be all going into the gas tank. I've had this happend before, the rubber line deteriorated after the pump on the sending unit so all the fuel it was pumping just fell back into the tank.

Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail after your filter change? If you have good fuel pressure there you may have gummed up injectors from running that nasty gas through them. As much of a hassle as it is, you're better off dropping the gas tank and draining it than sending rotten fuel through your car.

There is no pressure at the fuel rail. No gas at all. I have gas at the bottom of the lower larger fuel filter which is located at the front of the motor but nothing past that. I just changed that filter thinking the old one was no good but go the same thing. No fuel past that point. Its as if the pump is too weak to send the gas threw the entire line. Could it be that the filter on the pump is all clogged up. Which is the best way to get those clips off the lines on the fuel pump. I just changed a fuel pump on my wifes jimmy and if they are anything like them they are a serious pain in the AAA without the right tool!

Thanks for your help!

Hi
I am getting gas to the front just up to the bottom of the first fuel filter located at the lower portion of the front of the motor. I get nothing past that. I changed the original filter thinking it was that but I got the same thing. I tried taking the line off the bottom of the filter where I was getting gas and turned the key so the pump would run. Some gas came out but it wasnt very strong.

Thanks for the help guys!

Actually, Its not such a dumb question! I dont know! He said there was old gas in it and I took his word for it. I did put in about a gallon of gas but I dont know if thats enough. Do these cars usually run the tank completely dry or will you run out of gas if you still have a gallon or two?

Thanks! Bill

Back