86 GN Intake Removal

randys100

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to remove my intake on the 86 GN and was wondering how difficult the job is? Also, does anyone have any suggestions and what to remove and/or NOT remove.

Thanks in advance!

Randy

It's not hard at all. I did mine to have it all powder coated. One thing I did that worked very well is I took my 7.1 mega pixel digital camera and took huge up close pictures from all sides of the intake before I started. As I was going I took pics as well. I also got small baggies and put the nuts and bolts from all the different areas like the fuel rail and marked the bags with what nuts and bolts went where. It was a month before I put it all back. I fired up my laptop on the roof of the car and looked thru the pictures as I was putting it back together. It was so easy with those pictures. Made the project go from a pain in the ass to fun! :) Make sure you get all new gaskets and it's always nice to replace all those vacuum lines while your there if they are not that new. gnttype.org will have all the torque specs and other info you may need. Here is some pictures of my project...

What I did to my GN in the winter of 2006

Thanks for the quick response. I need to remove mine for powder coating as well. I also wondered what gaskets I will need to replace.

I like the idea of the picture and bags for the bolts. That will certainly help when I go to put things back together again...

It is actaully very easy.

One person made mention of baggies. I recommend using ziploc freazer bags. Choose the ones that have the white labeling space on them. Usually only a couple of bucks per box. Also pick up a sharpie. As you remove items. IE the fuel rail take a pic, remove all compnents and place in a freazer back. Mark bag with sharpie. Mark the comonent with asking tape and sharpie. Perform this with all parts you remove. Reinstalltion just look at the pics and pull the baggie for that component.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will use the freazer bags w/masking tap. How difficult is it to remove the injectors? Also, what gaskets/seals should I plan on replacing (other than the obvious intake) while I have everything removed?

Thanks again for all the advice!

Randy

Ok, I got the intake out last night. It was pretty straight forward like everyone above said. Now, I have one question. I did a search on Fel-Pro intake gasket and found there is an intake gasket part # MS96037 and a Fel-Pro Valley Pan Gaskets. Which one do I need? Mine installation had a Valley Pan Style gasket under the intake...

Thanks!

Get the direct replacement fel pro vally pan type and let er eat.
Use "The Right Stuff" RTV in the can.
Dont use the rubber end seals that come with the gasket set, instead use the rtv allong the block rails and then a good gob in all the corners. Also spread a thin layer around the water ports on the gasket.
I used the shop vac to suc out all the crud that fell down around the valley.
Kinda tricky getting back under the hard fuel lines but take your time and it can be done without hitting the rtv on the rails.

Good luck.
FWIW I psi tested mine and had 3 ports leakin at 150k miles on the original gasket hence my replacement.

Thanks guys! What source do you normally use for your gaskets? Summit? I'm also in need of the plenum, throttle body and vacuum block gaskets so I was hoping to find a source that stocks all these gaskets.

Thanks again!

Try your local auto parts store. Or even Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto. They should sell it all. I think I went to my local speed shop and got them all from him.

Advance auto or auto zone is where i got mine and I even got a vac block gasket in the set.(was a quirp)

I got mine from Autozone or Kragan .... you might want to shop around as I noticed the head gaskets (Felpro) differed from around $27 - $40 something between Napa, Kragen and Autozone .... cheapest in this case was Autozone.

It's not hard at all. I did mine to have it all powder coated. One thing I did that worked very well is I took my 7.1 mega pixel digital camera and took huge up close pictures from all sides of the intake before I started. As I was going I took pics as well. I also got small baggies and put the nuts and bolts from all the different areas like the fuel rail and marked the bags with what nuts and bolts went where. It was a month before I put it all back. I fired up my laptop on the roof of the car and looked thru the pictures as I was putting it back together. It was so easy with those pictures. Made the project go from a pain in the ass to fun! :) Make sure you get all new gaskets and it's always nice to replace all those vacuum lines while your there if they are not that new. gnttype.org will have all the torque specs and other info you may need. Here is some pictures of my project...

What I did to my GN in the winter of 2006

Jim, quick OT question. The plenum flange bolts on your GN looks black and nice did you reuse the stock (painted or plated them) or did you get some after market bolts? Nice set of ARP bolts there as well :)

Jim, quick OT question. The plenum flange bolts on your GN looks black and nice did you reuse the stock (painted or plated them) or did you get some after market bolts? Nice set of ARP bolts there as well :)

If the question was for me, :rolleyes: I got my bolts from:
AlloyBoltz Stainless Steel Kits on Ebay.

I called them first to place the order.
FWIF, even their kit for turbo Buick won't be 100% complete or accurate, but they tired.
I just have a few leftovers or other projects, etc.

ElectraJim

Edit: Just realized that the Q was for the other Jim. :p

too many damn Jim's around here! :)

Jan, everything that wasn't replaced with the 12 point polished stainless arp hardware I sandblasted and painted with satin black from a rattle can. A friend of mine has a oven for powder coating so I let it all cure in there for awhile. Came out nice and the finish held up pretty well to a socket. :cool: I almost did the intake in black hardware just to give it some contrast but the 12 point polished stainless stuff looked to nice! :)