You can type here any text you want

86 Monte SS asks, do you have a 454 in that?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
No, I replied, about half that, 231 cubic inches. I was in my Dark Red T. You should have seen the look on his face after the race :eek: . He had his g/f with him and was coming up with a couple excuses. I told him it was an untouched engine with stock turbo, IC, and injectors on pump gas.

I have really never found anyone to race (small town), but by coincidence came upon this 86 Monte SS that tried to pass me on a rural blacktop. I figured they wanted to play since they had followed me while I was out cruising, so I nailed it and pulled away from them while they tried to pass. We turn around at a sideroad to line them up.

I did clean my new BFG DR 235's and lined up. I told them to go whenever they were ready. So I left with no boost and What a rush going into second :D , pulled away like they were planted in the pavement! Had several car lengths on them immediately and pulling away fast, so I pull into their lane and double tap the brakes around 80 mph.

Yea, I know, they are slow, but it did have a loud free flow exhaust and a big cam, it idled really lopey. A nice looking white car actually.

And it may not be worth mentioning, but a late 80's truck was also along and wanted to go. He did have engine work also. Really wasn't much of a race, and immediately I had several car lengths on him, gave him the double brake tap before 70 mph, and watched as it took him forever to catch up with me as I coasted, so he could pass me. He asked why I let up, and I said it was done, what's the point? Had a good time cruising tonight :) .

No comments? My first real street fight............

nice kills! now if i can only get my girlfriend to be able to tell the difference from a gn and monte ss!

Hehehe , that's pretty badazzed, telling somebody to "go ahead and leave when they're ready" in a street race. Shows a LOT of confidence in one's own vehicle. You'd think somebody with another G-Body would've known the power of the Turbo 6, but if he didn't then, I' m sure he does now.

Originally posted by matt87
nice kills! now if i can only get my girlfriend to be able to tell the difference from a gn and monte ss!

Try owning one of each... Amy figured it out real quick, and then went and bought a '02 M6 Z28... I can't wait to run her in that ;)

If there is a next time, I will try a different method than telling them to go when they are ready :). I need to boost up 2 or 3 pounds next time. They had no idea what the car was since the first thing they asked was what kind of engine have you put in that, a 454?

That's when I told them I was stock. Then they said theirs was stock except for the exhaust. I said wait a minute, that thing has a cam change, cause it sounded really lopey. They said yea, but it needs a bigger one, and I thought yep, it sure does :rolleyes: . Their engine had a loud whine to it also that I could hear over their loud exhaust, I thought maybe they had a supercharger or something. Any ideas? I had to tell them to turn there car off to talk to them the car was so loud. I did not get a chance to look at their engine, they left when I talked to the guy in the truck, he kept asking if I wanted to race.

I think they will remember what a Buick is now :D .

Originally posted by matt87
i mean what is it with people calling these cars monte carlos i mean my god the car does have grand national on the side you see them read it out loud and they still say monte carlo make s me mad

This is too perfect. I know exactly what these guys had under the hood.
Stock block LG4 low output 305
Huge 250* duration cam @.050 with .700" lift
straight exhaust with glass packs
gear drive

:D

Tim, the whine you heard coming from the car was probably gear drive in place of the timing chain. Different companies make noisy and semi-quiet. Really no e.t gain from one.

I agree with 1WE4, it's most likely just a gear drive. Good kills though.

Tim, which car are you taking to the nats? I'm anxious to see your T. It sounds like it's pretty nice from what I've been told.

See ya in a month,
Purdue Pete :D

How are you doin Pete? I haven't talked to you in a while. Are you ready to buy a turbo yet? :D

blackbuick87, the gear drive is what a guy from work told me also. And the exhaust description sounds about right too. I enjoyed the race a little too much. Going to have to get to one of the eighth mile tracks here nearby, Terre Haute and Charleston. I heard they just put a new concrete launch area in at Terre Haute. Going to try to get an 8.3 if I hook good or 85 mph. Going to use straight race gas, race chip, lock the TC and bump up the boost this time. I'm getting the spring fever.

Pete, good to hear from you. Going to take the Red T down this year, may do the car show. Email by personal email and let me know how you are doing. I'm going to get up to W. Laf. maybe before the Nats since the weather is getting nice, and maybe everyone will want to get their cars out. Or we can just work on Tom's car to finish it for BG.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
This is too perfect. I know exactly what these guys had under the hood.
Stock block LG4 low output 305

Nah should have been the equally impressive L69 305 with 180hp and 225ft-lbs of torque. How did these cars get the SS name :confused:

Back