You can type here any text you want

86 T-type v. viper

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cimi4749

Being that I live in NY on Long Island I happen to spend a lot of time out in the hamptons... it just so happened that on my way home the other day playing train on our way back to the highway I happened to land myself right infront of a red viper, no idea what year, he wasnt doing much but my friends in their imports were reving at him and honking and what not, I dont do such things considering I drive a much more respectable car than them... well the road opened up into a 2 lane and the guy downshifted and hit it while he was behind me, we were doing like 30 at the time, I waited for him to pull past my bumper then I hit it..... I stayed on his bumper at like 14lbs... I also have alky but unfortunately it was empty!!!... he kept looking back at me like :confused: then I got onto the highway to go enjoy the beach... how are these things from a stop because my car is a frigging dog from a roll on a hot day.. anyhow my friends now understand the power 6, they never get to see it in action.... typically because I dont race everything I see.. I like to wait for the big stuff..

Vipers suck from a dig, you would probably waste him. I have run 3 Vipers from a dig with my C5 and it wasn't pretty. The funniest one was a $500 race from a guy talking smack, I was already out by 5 cars when he was done spinning at the line:D Good kill:cool:

P.S. I see in your sig you are dropping a 350 Olds motor into your Cutlass, I have a complete '72 motor from my Cutlass "S" with 7A heads on it if you're interested.

Originally posted by NJVetteGuy
Vipers suck from a dig, you would probably waste him. I have run 3 Vipers from a dig with my C5 and it wasn't pretty. The funniest one was a $500 race from a guy talking smack, I was already out by 5 cars when he was done spinning at the line:D Good kill:cool:

P.S. I see in your sig you are dropping a 350 Olds motor into your Cutlass, I have a complete '72 motor from my Cutlass "S" with 7A heads on it if you're interested.

You may want to change that to "most" Vipers suck from a dig. A very close friend of mine used to own a Viper that, on a non-bfg radial tire, gave a C5 w/ a 200 shot 2 cars and the move, and finished him off by about 15 cars.

Just remember that there is an exception for every rule ;)

What did he have in the Viper?

Jim

Pretty much 3 choices, right? Race Engine (should be able to hear it), Blower (could be quiet compared to exhaust), or Nitrous (most likely). A simple 150 shot would give about a 230ft/lb boost to toque at 3500 to around 720ft/lb. That'll pull a lot of people. I know there have been a couple turbo Vipers but aren't they few and far between?

Heads/Cam/Sean Roe Supercharger :)

The total key to that car was that it was DEADLY out of the hole. Hooked dead every time.... ;)

Originally posted by NJVetteGuy
Vipers suck from a dig, you would probably waste him. I have run 3 Vipers from a dig with my C5 and it wasn't pretty. The funniest one was a $500 race from a guy talking smack, I was already out by 5 cars when he was done spinning at the line
not in a stock C5......Oh wait never mind, you have a few thousand in it

Originally posted by kshef
not in a stock C5......Oh wait never mind, you have a few thousand in it

Stock internals motor with:

Cold air intake $295
Headers/x-pipe(bought used) $550
Gear swap to 3.73s $850
Torque converter $750
My labor on my car= FREE:)
Custom dyno tune by Cartek $500

Total investment in parts is around $2500. Selling off stock parts allowed me to recoup a pretty good portion of the investment. Carefully matching components got me where I am, it's all about the combo as I have wasted some heads/cam LS1s as well. There's still more bolt-ons that I can do, but I don't think I'll gain much vs. the price. I'll be seeing how far I can take a stock long-block turbo Buick next:D

Originally posted by TransAm WS6 420
You may want to change that to "most" Vipers suck from a dig. A very close friend of mine used to own a Viper that, on a non-bfg radial tire, gave a C5 w/ a 200 shot 2 cars and the move, and finished him off by about 15 cars.

Just remember that there is an exception for every rule ;)

I'm only going by the ones I've seen local. There's a supercharged one near me that would eat me alive even with my jump out of the hole(he traps in the 140+ range:eek: ). I am still a stock internals motor so I have to choose my battles carefully in the $$ races. I usually try to hit the Vette-Viper events when I can, but I haven't seen any near me that could 60' exceptionally well. You are right, I know there's always going to be one out there that will outright smoke me. I am going to see how long I can go before that happens:)

Back