'87 GN dash speaker R&R

Slick87gn

My front dash speakers are sounding tinny. How do you remove them and what are the sizes. I would rather replace them than cut up my doors. :)

I've read that you have to be very careful when buying replacement speakers for the dash, some speakers, even if they're the right size, are too big, and won't let the dash sit all the way back down. If you take out the stock ones, measure the mounting depth and make sure you don't go any bigger. I've seen some on eBay that are supposed to be better quality and fit perfectly.

remove all 7mm / 15. star screws that are visible on dash trim over speakers(be very carefull,if panel is not already cracked,IT WILL.) 3 1/2'' are held with 2 phillips screws...pick a high quality speaker(they have a high quality smaller magnet)(pioneer,alpine,etc)that will help clear dash during installation,i took out factory "3 1/2 tweeter" and removed "bass blocker" capacitor and installed a two way full range set...

Speakers

How many dash screws hold the panel?? Blaupunkt has a 3.5 speaker 1.5 inches in depth.

oh yeah; blaupunkt are good speakers too ,did you know that blaupunkt means ''blue dot'' in german?youll notice a blue dot on all their packaging...just a little fyi for ya

Blau, Kenwood, Eclipse and many 3.5" coax do not fit.

Alpine SPS-080A I know fit for shure.

The Pioneer TSA-878 should fit also.

The stock dash speakers are designed to drop in from the top of the dash. They have two "tabs" that support the speakers in the dash.

I installed 3.5 inch Infinity "Kappa's" in the dash of my hardtop GN (sold). It was tricky, but once I figured out how to make it work, it wasn't too much trouble and the finished installation was worth it.

In order to install the deeper Infinity Kappa speakers I suspended them *below* the mounting surface by using 1/4" long nylon spacers and longer screws to "hang" them lower than the stock mounting position. I purchased the nylon spacers and longer screws at a hardware store for less than $2. In this configuration, the speakers fit perfectly below the stock, unmodified dash cover.

I also used the same type of nylon spacers (but longer) to install stock size Infinity "Kappa" speakers in the doors. The stock door speakers have 3 "legs" or "stand-offs" that keep them from sitting too deep into the doors. I found nylon spacers the same length as the legs on the stock speakers. With these spacers, I was able to use the stock mounting screws and mounting holes.

I'd take pictures, but I sold the car a year ago.

HTH

i have to disagree with turbov6,what models were you using?some speakers place in center of dash and slide to mounting hole,this clears dash pad..

garyk1970 said:
i have to disagree with turbov6,what models were you using?some speakers place in center of dash and slide to mounting hole,this clears dash pad..

Sorry my bad on the kenwood. The 06 models it's dual cone on the 3.5" speakers.

Blaupunkt PCx-352 I tried on a Monte that did not fit.

Eclipse Se-8235 and the older 3.5" don't fit I guarantee it because I have these in stock at work.

I have tired most of the 3.5" out there some fit but it's just the tweeter sticking out too much hitting the dash trim.

Shure garyk1970 the speaker will fit in no problems but try to put the dash piece back on unless you want to go with a dual cone (no tweeter)....Understand now?

TURBOV6 said:
I have tired most of the 3.5" out there some fit but it's just the tweeter sticking out too much hitting the dash trim.

that's why I lowered the 3.5" Infinity's. :cool: