87 GN fan stopped working

augie1010

Hi Group: I have an 87 GN, had it since 88, live in RI (not many GN's here). I just noticed that it is getting hot when it idles, seems that the fan does not come on at all. I have one of those hi low switches that works of the a/c high pressure switch that I never have installed. I tried it, but the fan will not turn, but I hear the relay(s) click when I move the toggle from off to high and low position. I tried putting 12v power to the bottom wire on the fan while I grounded the neg and the fan turns. With all the sensors and switches that these cars have, I don't know which way to go. Any ideas?

Thanks, sorry to be so long winded on this
David
Smithfield, RI

Bypass the low speed resistor and see what that does. I'd bypass it anyway. I bypassed mine awhile back and she cools much better now. But it really sounds like a relay issue to me.

happened to my gn a week ago.Groung wire at the fan motor had seperated from the terminal causing no ground and higher than normal temps.watch your hands but wiggle that groung wire on the right side of the fan motor or check the ground and pos. side with a 12 v tester to start....

My original fan on my daily driver, froze up about 5 years ago & I put the dual fans from Ramchargers on.

Ramchargers no longer has the fans. Some guys like the Spall fans & others like the F*** Tarus fans.

Many threads on these fans, do a search.

i swapped to dual fans myself and it does much better!!! i also made another relay setup and get 12 volts from back of alt. i still use the stock relay and wires to turn my new relay on if that makes sense. in other words my new relay picks up when the fan would come on normally. when it picks my relay up it gets 12 volts directly to both fans. if you try running both fans on stock wires it may burn something up.

GN fan stopped working

Thanks for the replys.. one question, how do you jump the resistor, I presume it gets eliminated from the circuit.

Thanks
DS

Eliminate the resistor. I use 1 relay fed from original wiring for hi speed & another relay for lo speed.

Just connect all the wires together and you have hi speed only. It's all you need.

GN fan not working

Hi: Thanks for the help on this. I eliminated the resistor and the fan comes on with my hi/lo switch. Before eliminating the resistor the fan would not work at all. I quess it was the resistor. Well the fan run good now, maybe even work as it should by the computer, i will see next time i drive the gn.

Thanks again
David

Another GN in RI???

Hey a fellow GN owner in Rhode Island !!!!

I'm in the next town over Bro.:biggrin:

Give me a shout some time. Do you go to A&W in Greenville with the GN ?

Matt

GN fan does not work

Hi Guys: I got the fan to run with my hi/lo switch, but it will not come on from the computer. I removed the resisitor to get the fan to work. How hot do these cars have to be to activate the fan? It used to work OK, but now?? Any ideas why it won't come on as it should?

Thanks

David
RI:cool:

They come on kind of hot I tihnk 200 deg. with stock chip Did you replace the relay on the driver side fender? you may want to get the hot wire kit from racetronics or caspers. I have the Racetronics one its a nice one. I also had to replace the conector that the stock fan plug in to mine had got hot enough to melt it.

Fan does not work

Hi Guys: Went to install the hi/lo switch permanently in the car, tried it b4 I push the switch thru the firewall, and the fan would not come on. What ?? Got out my volt meter and looked for power at the plug, found some, check at the loops at the end that connect to the fan..nothing. Terminals looked very tarnished, so i buffed them up with my dremel and the fan comes on with the switch. I also eliminated the resistor, but it looks like it was just dirt. I am beginning to hate cars again

Thanks for all your help
David..RI

sounds like its time for the upgraded wiring I blew a motor from a fan not working from bad wiring and leting the car sit out side by its self so it would stay cool until I got back. over heated badly on me.