87 Gn for sale in buy and sell???

808 87 WE2

anyone seen the 87 Gn for sale in this weeks (3/28) buy and sell?

if so, whats the condition?

laterz

went to check it out and there were a few things

salvage title
no headliner (owner will include part)
no shifter knob (owner will include part)
power seats did not work
power window motor going
power brake assist going
paint needs a good buffing
a/c works, but doesn't seem that cold and car idle drops low

k&n cold air intake
turbo from a typhoon
bigger injectors
chip
exhaust?

i have no knowledge of turbo 6's but was wondering if this is a good deal at $9k. i was thinking more about $7k. if you have any info, let me know. thanks

with a salvaged title....the owner isnt suppose to be able to sell the car for more than 3K tops....why not bargain with the person...start with 3K and drop it a little each time with what needs work...maybe 1K is more like it

I wouldnt say 3K, it would depend on what caused that to be salvaged? I have see theft-recovered cars that were missing only the interior (did it by chance have beat-up leather seats?)

Rob

theft recovered vehicles completely stripped via interior, engines, suspension, shell and a salvaged title is two different things...salvaged title usually gets put on a title if it had structual integrity damage such as the frame....why do you think theft recovered vehicles that are stripped go for such a high price at auctions? because of the clean title they still have compared to one with a structual damage though it may not look too severe to fix

just because an insurance company wants to total out the car...it still doesnt mean its salvaged...such as my wifes race car...she had a small electrical fire in the driver side kickpanel which also burnt part of the dash....insurance company GEICO wanted to total out the car...got $5500 for the car...was able to keep the title for $500 which is still considered clean spent 1K on used parts and pocketed the rest :) pretty good side job dont you think ....and no i didnt set her harness on fire :eek:

but for 11K and a salvaged title? id look in the mainland for some better bargain GN's

not really, if the replacement cost of the entire interior is in excess of the value of the vehicle. the vehicle would be considered totalled. the vehicle does not need to sustain "structural" damage to be considered a total loss and be branded a salvage vehicle.

if i remember right, i believe the car was stolen and parts were stripped from it. don't think it was in an accident as the owner said when he bought the car he had a mechanic and body person look at it and they both gave him the nod of approval. still, no proof of that and hard to say what really was wrong. i think he may go down from the $9k asking price, but i wasn't sure if this would be the car for me. i think i'll keep looking.

From from my own experience when my white '87 T was hit while parked out on the street, the insurance company(AIG) considered it totaled as far as the value vs. repair costs were concerned. I was able to keep the car for $50 after having settled with them and was told the title would stay clean (no salvage), since it was only cosmetic damage and not structural.

I would assume that a "true" salvaged title vehicle would actually say so on the title, anyone know if thats the case?:)

I believe you can have a "salvaged title" statement on the title even if it was only a theft recovery. For instance, how many titles have you seen that said "flood salvage" or "fire salvage" or "theft salvage"? I have yet to see one. I have owned a TR that had a salvage title due to an engine fire, yet the title just said "salvaged". To find out why it has a salvaged titile, try CARFAX or go to the DMV with the vin. To change the subject, I sold my 87 GN with 65,000 miles (clean title) mostly stock, excellent condition for a little over $8000. I could have gotten more I think but no one had any money. I took my time selling the car since I chose not to advertise the car in any paper. I think this car's price should be VERY negotiable. Just my 2 cents and a 1/2.:)

Joe, you are right, it does not matter on the kind of damage, it all depends on the insurance companies, and more and more, total stripped vehicles, as they are recovered, do not go to auction, as the insurance companies are aware that this reassembly of stolen vehicles only leads to more theft. they are simply crushed, and the titles are never useable (here or out of state)

Cars branded here as "insurace salvaged rebuilt vehicle" will always indicate this on the title in the area where the legal owner info is provided. this will also show up in the subsequent duplicate copies of title here.

Carfax will indicate a lot of things, but not something real current <they are slow due to reporting procedures>