You can type here any text you want

87 gn frame swap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pilgrimcustoms

ALWAYS BET BLACK
Hey guys. I don't post a lot, but I read most everything on here. A year ago, I bought a bone stock 60K mile 87 gn with rust problems. A little later, I found and bought a 40K mile one owner CHERRY 87 regal. This fall, I will combine the best of both cars for what I hope to be a very nice gn. My question is this. What unique parts from the chassis needs to be used from the gn? The gn is a posi car. The housing is somewhat pitted. Will my other housing accept the ring and pinion setup from the gn? I know it is a lot of work. I am a welding instructor by trade and build and restore street rods and muscle cars part time. I have more time than money. This is the reason for such a large project. Thanks for the help!

Well was it a V6 car?

If so the motor mounts will be the same, if a V8 you need to change the pads...

Far as the rear you that is probably a 7.5 where as your GN is a 8.5...

Thanks. The donor was a v-8. Motor was blown and gone before me. (no loss) I figured the rear was different. My gn rear is pitted but usable. The frame on the gn is pretty rough. That is the main job.

I have done it, just change the pads and you are good to go:biggrin:

Don't forget stuff like the fuel lines, gas tank (they are specific for the GN), Wiring harness issues ect. Good luck.

Plastic fender wells are unique also. Fuel lines & gas tank on that 307" V-8 won't be the same.

Been down this road myself.
My T was originally a 307/200C car, bought new like that in 87 by my grandfather.

Inner fenders are not different as far as I can tell, at least not in any way that affects the motor swap (?) Its just that the parts go into different spots on the same general plastic mold.

How exactly are you planning this? GN drivetrain into the Regal, or mixing and matching all the parts? I did a drivetrain drop into the originally 307 car. So it was basically engine, trans, rear, driveshaft, and wiring bits and pieces. Gas tank I bought new. Which you might want to do if the GN is that rough. How extensive the part swapping is dictates the approach and what needs to be changed.

Good luck!

Sleeper, I am planning a drivetrain swap into the rust free frame. I am using the rust free main body tub and my gn dog house. I am using as much of the original gn stuff as possible. My gn is an extremely good car mechanically, but the floors and quarters are nasty. It is a Chicago car, which says it all! Funny part is it has a decal on the door jamb where it was rustproofed! I would hate to see it without the treatment. It is a t-top and the donor is a solid roof. That works out great, as I don't really like the t-tops.:biggrin:

Back