You can type here any text you want

87 GN Tuner wanted

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jstewart

Can someone recommend a mechanic/tuner/hobbyist who is good and covering all the bases for tuning an 87 GN. Prefferably someone who owns one as well.

I have virtually all the info and tools to do this myself, and have periodically tried. However, it is so infrequent, that I have to start over every time and relearn. I think I pretty much have all the tools as well (including TurboLink), but just don't have the time to really get into doing this right.

I have made some basic mods and improvements, but don't know that they are all coordinated, particularly as it concerns my chip. Specific problems are idle and ping. I'm willing to modify and or add to what I've done, just want to make sure I'm starting from a good base and going in the right direction.

Any references would be appreciated, including yourself if you are interested.

Thanks.

Kansas City

That would have been a really good piece of info to put in my first post. I'm just west of the Kansas City area, near Lawrence.

Whats wrong with your idle and why do you ping?? Boost, octane rating, idle RPM?? Maybe I can help via internet, lol. Im not an expert but, have 2 GN's that I do all types of work on, sometimes too much.
:cool:

Idle surges so bad that many times it fades and dies. As far a pinging, who knows. Can't find good gas around here, but even at low boost, (stock or less) can't make it go away. Don't have enough time at the moment to reivew the changes I have done, but in the past I have gone through all the documentation I can find on setting these cars up, and still can't get rid of the ping. Idle used to be fine, and yes I've had every known O2 sensor, and made all the appropriate adjustments. Could be that the mods are not complimentary

My biggest problem is time, that's why I'm hoping I can short cut this by finding someone who can work on it.

But it only pings under some sort of boost right?? And the idle changed when you added what to the car??

I am busy this entire weekend, but possibly could look at it next week/weekend.
I work in north kansas city, live in overland park..

What/whos computer chip do you have in your car?

I work on many 86-87 turbo regals, actually those are the ones i prefer to work on :)

Shoot me a email to wanner@kc.rr.com

BW

Here goes

OK, here's the list. I''ve gotten some feedback that the KBs chip is not well thought of. I also noticed that in looking at the car a couple of weeks ago, I think I have an injector that is leaking/sucking air? I have planned on changing the chip and maybe the injectors, but need to coordinate all that's been done before I do.

The car doesn't get driven very often. Just too much else going on. I'm sure that can't help. I've tried it with a heated O2 sensor, at the moment it has a non-heated.

I have tried to do all the basics prior to trying to add speed/power. I have had it running pretty well in the past, with the exception that I have never been able to run any real boost without serious pinging. I did run some of the GM combustion chamber cleaner through it years ago. Didn't make any difference. I do have a new knock sensor(just in case), but it appears to be difficult to get to and haven't taken the time.

I would like to add a turbo upgrade, at least I think that might be the next serious change (vs a bigger inter-cooler?), but I want to get rid of the pinging first. There is a "theory"? that an old turbo will leak hot gas into the intake and cause pinging. Don't know how to verify.

Bottom line is I just don't have the time to stay on top of this.

Thanks.

Kirban ignition and coil pack
KB 40# injectors
KB 40# Ultimate chip
Quad air plug wires
ATR 3" SS downpipe
ATR 3" SS race pipe
ATR 2/12" SS dual exhaust and mufflers
Adjustable wastegate
Kirban MAF sensor
Kirban heated O2 sensor (non-heated at the moment)
Kirban IAC
Kirban fuel distribution plate
KB 160 degree thermostat and billet housing
KB oil pump pressure plate
Kirban fuel pump wiring kit
Kirban hi-performance in-tank fuel pump
KB billet adjustable fuel regulator
VDO boost and knock gauge
New OEM radiator
PCV in-line check valve
New turbo oil feed line
Aluminum vacuum distribution block