You can type here any text you want

87 Grand National Radiator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BUICKBOY1242

Hello All,

I have an all original 87 grand national 2000mi and unfortunately the rad has started seeping. I have been looking for a new original but have not been able to find one.
I see Gbody has a reconditioned one, anyone know if it is same as the original? anything that is put in needs to be just like the factory. Also i guess the other option is to repair the seeping one but would want to make sure the repair is done perfectly any recommendations on where do go?

Thanks,

Just take it to any radiator shop and they should be able to repair your original one.

The factory has copper endtanks on it and all they will do is braze the cracks. Mine was leaking at the neck area of the outlet hose. They fixed it up , used their flush treatment on the clean out and I touched it up with the black radiator spray paint to make it look new again. I think that I had $95 in the project.

Any competent radiator shop can repair it like new. I recently sent one out from a low mileage 86 GN (10,000 miles) with the same issue. The shop removed the tanks, hot tanked everything, re-soldered the core, and reinstalled the tanks. I painted it with OEM color paint. Radiator looked brand new.

A 30 year old radiator is ready for the scrap pile.

At least you need a new core, and the best bet is to use a high efficiency core.

The original core has small tubes, and it is a "pipe-dream" to expect a shop to repair a worn out stock core and re-solder every original tube after cleaning each one?

In the past 30 years, I have done hundreds of re-cored, new HE radiator cores, using the original end tanks.

Since an alum rad is less expensive by $100+ a recore, I now use and sell a good Cold Case alum unit.

Nick, do you still sell the stock re-cord units? What's the price on them?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back