You can type here any text you want

87 Regal driving kind of jerky/jumpy

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UmadBro

I have an 87 regal with 3.8 liter non turbo with 140k on it. Lately when I have been driving it without a lot of pressure on the gas ( basically just trying to keep a constant speed going) and the car seems to be jumping just a bit. It doesn't jump super bad, but you can tell that it's doing it. You can just tell that you aren't going at a constant speed... Anyone know what's going on here? Or where I can start looking for problems at? I live up in northern wisconsin, so I have to make sure it's in good shape for the winter lol..

Also, I have rebuilt the carburator and replaced the fuel filters and fuel pump already.

Thanks.

I have an 87 regal with 3.6 liter non turbo with 140k on it. Lately when I have been driving it without a lot of pressure on the gas ( basically just trying to keep a constant speed going) and the car seems to be jumping just a bit. It doesn't jump super bad, but you can tell that it's doing it. You can just tell that you aren't going at a constant speed... Anyone know what's going on here? Or where I can start looking for problems at? I live up in northern wisconsin, so I have to make sure it's in good shape for the winter lol..

Also, I have rebuilt the carburator and replaced the fuel filters and fuel pump already.

Thanks.

Have you verified if its the converter locking up? How fast are you going when it does it?

It seems to be missing at idle? Have you checked the plugs and varified timing on it?

What's the converter?
It does it at any speed, and it doesn't seem to be running rough on idle though. It has been getting worse though, it jerks whenever i step/release the gas, and it almost "dies" when it shifts, like slows down real bad, shifts, then picks up again..

No, It's only got 140k miles on it. What does the time chain do?

It had a new transmission put in at about 40-50k miles ago, I was wondering if that maybe needed some adjustment or something? ah dunno

140K on the ticker? The timing chain controls the timing of the valves and distributor in relation to the crankshaft position. If you haven't replaced the timing chain then it needs to be done. The stock one usually falls apart at around 100K. I'd suggest that you take a 1 & 1/8" socket and put it on the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on and turn it both direction to see how much slack is in it. I'd bet you've got a ton and now it's time to replace the chain and gears.;)

I have an 87 TT that stumbles under light load to about 65 MPH. Stumbling stops under moderate to hard acceleration. Any ideas as to this problem?

Back