87 regal to GN power..

C

charlie547

I am getting a 87 regal for next to nothing,, Gotta love family.. I was wondering if it would be worth while to swap in a GN drive train into it.. I know that I would need the wiring harness and dash,, But other then that does everything else just bolt up? Is there any sites that might cover this type of conversion?

Thanks
Charlie

Conversion

The fuel system is different, too, including the tank, as well as the rear end. You would need the alternator from a GN, since it's bigger, too, and probably would want to modify the suspension, unless the Regal has the sport suspension. Wheels, tires, and radiator. Lots of stuff to change. There have been conversions, Gn drivetrain into El Camino would be similar, and GN into station wagon. Check around, see how much work is involved- it ain't easy!
George W
Raleigh, NC

conversion

It can be done. It's alot of work. I'd save the car for parts and find a turbo regal or GN. Try searching on gnttype.org

I almost did it to my 1986 Olds 442. But I sold the car and bought my T for $2000 more, plus my T has half the miles.:p

Main pieces-
Engine-
Trans- must be BFR code
Rear end- 8.5" 3.42 gear
wiring harness for car
turbo gas tank with sending unit
fuel return lines (all fuel lines must be strong enough to handle 60 psi.

all the little killer stuff:
-probably going to need/want a rebuild on the motor
-need Intercooler, turbo, downpipe, crossover, all the sensors, brackets, etc
-Turbo setup uses different power steering setup- you will need to piece one together, or find a donor turbo car
-electric fan
probably a lot of other little things I am forgetting.

Keep the regal as a beater and save your $$$$ for a real turbo car.

Regular Regal to GN

Ive done this myself and its not to hard . With the engine harness , also change the under dash wiring and fuse block from your donor turbo car ,it going to make it easier i feel in the long run , The fuse setup is different as are the computer wiring . The carb fuel tank can be used with a GN intank setup but you dont have baffling so keep it half full to be safe . The fuel lines are going to need changing too , i went the AN 8 fuel AN6 return route but you could do stock lines , la few companies sell them . You are going to have to run a wire from the fuel relay to turn on the pump , the N/A regal doesnt have that . You can leave the vacume brakes , leave the brake plugs disconnected. You may have to change the tranny crossmember or modify it , The stock Radiator is a little weak so you may want to change that , although i ran it for a while , i left the oil coller off ( i run synthetic oil so..) Thats the main stuff , some small thiongs may pop up , but no biggie .

GN in a regal

Unless you have the parts Motor , rear, tranny etc . you could probibly buy a whole car for the same $$$ if not less .

Ok then,, I Guess if I have a lot of time and parts. then this is workable,,, I will keep you all posted,, as If I cant sell my cobra. I will be doing a swap of this type.. instead of buying a genuine GN

thanks for all the information,,

looks like i'll be putting my i/c motor in my 87 regal here soon so i'll take note of any problems but i dont think i'll have any...as far as fuel system i have a fuel cell and going external pump.

me to

il be doing the switch also...a gnX clone i have the long block and il get a harness to stick in a regal body or slim chance...maybe a gta...by the time i get a nice black regal to look like a X il have all the small items to install

........collecting

I did something similar. You can check out my pages for a little bit of info. I haven't got everything typed up, yet. It can be done, but unless you find a wreck or a rust bucket, then it probably isn't worth the effort. I did it because the General didn't put them in wagons for regular consumers, so if I wanted one I had to build it. There are a lot of little things that you won't think of that need to be changed. I listed as many as I could think of on one of the documents on my pages. If you have any specific questions, you can drop me a line also. You are better off buying a full car to build it, otherwise you will be chasing down all of the little parts for a long time. The pages are: www.turbowagon.com, and www.turbo6.com.

Brian

P.S. I'm doing it again, along with a couple of other people who are even on this list. So, we will undoubtedly polish up my old notes on conversions.