You can type here any text you want

87 T -Type. My first Turbo Buick.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dreamn4GN

As some of you know. Bought my first car about a week ago. 87 light blue t. T top car. One owner all stock 123k miles. She needs some interior/exterior love. But that's just fine. I can't trust the assholes around here with a nice paint job anyway. Plus I kinda like the look she gives off.
Just order some usual parts pretty much a spring cleaning.
plugs/wires
Billet thermostat housing / thermostat
Hotwire kit/ Walboro fuel pump
F body radiator with upper/lower hoses
Fuel/air filters
Inter cooler hoses and clamps. (Also plans in cleaning the IC out)
ADJ FPR
ADJ waste gate

Picking up a scan master in the next week or so.

Plans for the car are to keep her stock till the winter and do some mild mods. Injectors,chip, valve springs. The usual bolt on's. This car will NOT be going faster than high 11's in the future. I've been around here long enough to know any faster things become a lot more expensive and even more fragile. I will buy a sbc or ls car if I have the urge to go faster. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
anyone got any recommendations on what else I should do.. She runs and drives.. Just alot of worn out parts keeping me from driving her.

She is a nice car
And that color looks sweet when new
My old t I just sold

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1405053670895.jpg
    1405053670895.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 305
She is a nice car
And that color looks sweet when new
My old t I just sold

I love the black wheels on these color cars. I think a pair of GTA's are in the future along eith some other goodies.

New owner went to 18" boss
Think it looks great

Attachments

• 1405055223233.jpg
    1405055223233.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 351
i'd do the timing chain also. spoo;fool can hook up up with new bumperfillers, like that blue color.

i'd do the timing chain also. spoo;fool can hook up up with new bumperfillers, like that blue color.
Yeah. I'm on a slight budget. I had just enough for the car and the spring cleaning parts. The car will be getting the attention she needs once I get myself a nursing job. But for now she's getting a fresh tune up and shes being driven. It's a running/driving project for me. I dunno I kind of like it the way she is. Some bolt on parts she will be a rat rod looking t type that can move. Interior will be redone for sure though.

You're on the right track. Just make sure you address ALL the basics before you start playing with the boost.
Might be best to park the car while you accumulate parts - this will prevent you from "accidentally" being tempted to push the car when all the maintenance have not yet been addressed. (just my .02)

I would also look at the brake system. If the powermaster works, make sure the fluid is clean. If the PM is iffy, just swap it for a vacuum set up for now. (It nice to go fast, even better to be able to stop)

If you're going to address the t-chain, make sure you get all the gaskets for the front cover and the oil pan. Don't forget cam button. And since you've got it opened up, you might as well swap the front and rear mains if they are leaking. (They will most likely be leaking).

Then there's the trans fluid and filter, the rear end (which always gets neglected), and so on and so on....

Welcome to the Darkside!! :D

You're on the right track. Just make sure you address ALL the basics before you start playing with the boost.
Might be best to park the car while you accumulate parts - this will prevent you from "accidentally" being tempted to push the car when all the maintenance have not yet been addressed. (just my .02)

I would also look at the brake system. If the powermaster works, make sure the fluid is clean. If the PM is iffy, just swap it for a vacuum set up for now. (It nice to go fast, even better to be able to stop)

If you're going to address the t-chain, make sure you get all the gaskets for the front cover and the oil pan. Don't forget cam button. And since you've got it opened up, you might as well swap the front and rear mains if they are leaking. (They will most likely be leaking).

Then there's the trans fluid and filter, the rear end (which always gets neglected), and so on and so on....

Welcome to the Darkside!! :D
Thanks. Glad I'm finally able to call myself a turbo buick owner. She's been sitting ever since I picked her up. Getting a spring cleaning done before I get her on the road. She has a small rad leak so I picked up an F body rad , dry rotted hoses and clamps. Greatly documented car. Plans are to do timing chain ,springs and etc over the winter. And yes checking the PM. I have a buddy down the road who's been into TB for awhile. He's gonna help me break the ice.

Well finally made some headway on the car. But ofcourse their are road blocks. Goddamn gauges didn't come with sending units. That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks. New F Body rad with hoses, wires and plugs (my first time doing them on a 3.8 needless to say, my backs a little tight. Haha) ,new 160 t stat and billet housing( gave me some problems ,was trying to avoid removing the hose next to it,but we needed up removing it) Replacing all the vacuums lines, few were dry rotted, air filter ( going to upgrade from stock this winter) ,changed the belt, cleaned up the intercooler a bit, I can actually see through the IC considering it's 20plus yrs old. Also found out the car has a practically brand new turbo with an adj waste gate (need to find out the boost is set at). Pretty sure it's stock turbo. Ordered some sending units so we left the intercooler out and everything off till they come in. Scan master and all the gauges are wired inside the car. Just a boost/vac ,oil pressure and water temp for now. Doing the fuel pump/hotwire kit and fuel filter Monday night. Hopefully have the senders midweek. My birthday is next Sunday. Hope to take my maiden voyage that day. Here's a quick progress pic I was able to snap without getting crap all over my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 279
Ahhhh.... That's a MD car.. I saw it on Craigslist and I even called on it before I bought My 86 a couple of weeks ago.. Nice... What area You live in? Subscribed...

Got some more work done on the t type this afternoon. Put the fuel filter and hotwire/Walboro kit in. Turns out the pump was updated to a new stock unit. Not sure how long this car has been sitting. But she had decent gas in the tank. Drained out the most we could. Fuel gauge says 7 but we drained about 4 and their was some left we could not get. But she looks clean for what I can say inside the tank. Buttoned her up and put the fuel filter and hot wire on. Now all I need is to connect trans lines to radiator, vacuum hose ,fuel,oil&filter and those sending units and she should be ready to roll. My birthday is Sunday and I'm hoping I can take. My first cruise with her. Still haven't determined what kinda chip is in the car. Just keep forgetting to look. Always get distracted with something else. I've been waiting for this day to come where I take a nice cruise. I've waited over 15 years for this day. I even have the drive I'm going to take once she's up and ready.

Nice looking TB. Good luck with the rest of the spring cleaning. Where you located?

Well today was the day I've been waiting for 15 plus years. Aside from test driving the car which wasn't much with a leaking radiator. First time I've been able to take a cruise. Take my old man for a spin, stop by my friends house to show them the up and coming on the "list" we got going on. Anyway had 60+ lbs of oil pressure on cold start up. Around 20psi at hit idle. Idle needs to be adjusted a tad. Idling around 6-700rpm. Car temps were perfect. But before all this we buttoned the car up and start to top off the radiator. And once she gets upto temp she starts spilling antifreeze. Looked like someone put a hax saw about a 1/2" at the very top. I don't know how I missed it. Luckily local advanced had a F body rad and swapped em out. Slight delay but got her running. I couldn't believe how much these cars pull. Specially this car being all stock. Still need to hook up my vacuum and boost gauge. I'll be installing that next week. Still trying to figure out if the cruise works in the car or not. Interior lights don't work but I'll try it out tomm.

Well noticed my driver side header was cracked yesterday. Looks minimal , I'm going to leave it till the winter until I out a new exhaust on. Let's hope she doesn't get progressively worse

Back