87 T-type nightmare (dont look if your sqeaamish)

could just be disconnected i think its held in place by a washer and cotter pin, i also think that the shift bracket has two plastic inserts/bushings to smooth things out.

The rod is gone, of course. Anyone know where I can find one?
Please don't say the junkyard.
That guy is going to raise his prices if I come back one more time, because hell know I'll pay:rolleyes: it

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

well you need to get that fixed as that what got this thread started in the first place , you dont want a take 2
the column is designed to mechanically prevent starting in anything but park or neutral provided the linkage is connected and adjusted properly to position the column lockout feature.
there is no neutral start switch persay on our car, we have one but its used for park detection for ecm things ( not to prevent startup ) and also for activation of the backup lamps when shifted to reverse

the lockout assembly is a cross rod and an upper rod
the cross rod that rests between a bracket bolted onto the the prop valve and the trans shifter linkage
the prop side has a nylon button and a spring and the cross rod slides into the bracket , the trans side just hooks through slots on the shifter control bracket and is held in with a clevis pin
the upper rod that links the cross rod to the steering column arm connects to the cross rod with an adjustable pivot nut assembly and at the steering column connects with a grommet and nylon ball sleeve and held with a clevis pin

Before
1373814305204.jpg
1373814332837.jpg

After

Attachments

• 1373814379801.jpg
    1373814379801.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 1373814403439.jpg
    1373814403439.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 1373814417519.jpg
    1373814417519.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 132
Thanks for all the advice guys. Sure am glad this mess is over. Now to see how much money I can spend UNDER the hood, instead of around it;)

Looks good bet ur excited!!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Don't let people fool you, there's very few parts for these cars that are rare. Especially exterior body panels. Hell, you can buy even header panels all over.

All console (At least) GBodies use the same shift rod mechanism. It's nothing more than a mechanism to translate console shifter movement to the column mechanism that was originally designed for column shift, and still has many items in it that need that function.

You should have no problem finding any of these parts by asking in the Parts Wanted forum.

Congrats on the repair - looks great!

The header panel I ended up using was an aftermarket from carid.com. the header itself came from somewhereE in Kansas. The fit and finish was awful. None of the headlight mounting holes were cut to size, the center of it it's too low. The passenger bezel mounts stuck out further than the fender. Where the drivers side fit perfect. Just not a good piece. My car won't ever be in a show so it works I guess. Can't expect much for$200. Original header I checked on was going to be $750 shipped:confused: