You can type here any text you want

87 T vs. 99-01 Cobra

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QuikBuik

Get this guy a GN!
I was coming home in the T the other evening when the distinctive look of 99-up Mustang headlights came up behind me. Once the car passed I saw the Cobra emblems, and narrowed the year down to 99-01. He gave me a few brakelight flashes, and went on, perhaps he was interested? He wasn't interested in me getting back up beside him though, as he was running quite a bit above the speed limit, so I just tried to keep him at a reasonable distance in case a light caught us. In fact, two lights caught us, but we weren't able to line up till we both took the same exit, and after some considerable praying on my part ;) the next light caught us with an open lane beside him. Of course I took it.

I rolled up beside him and got a nod and a smirk, which I returned. I spooled to ~2lbs. as the cross light turned, and waited for his reaction. He took off, but definitely not full throttle. I rolled it out about a fender ahead of him and waited, and he hit, just as my car changed into second gear. The car never ceases to amaze me how the low end pulls under boost though. I hammered it, and as soon as the boost came up (stock turbo=came up quick), he stopped pulling at around a bumper ahead, and I started pulling. As he chirped into second, the T was marching off and put his front bumper at my back wheel by around 65. Then came a sloppy 2-3 shift (which I need to diagnose), and I stopped pulling for an instant till the car was solidly in 3rd gear, then pulled around another half-car to around 85, where I showed the brake lights and lifted. He flew by only to hammer the brakes and turn off onto the next road, so I didn't get to talk to him. I would've liked to have an even run off a light and actually use first gear though.....

Anyway, he was obviously a stocker, but still not bad for the pump gas tuneup at 16psi. I'm ready to give this thing a track workout though, soon. This 'boost' thing is growing on me. :D

Thanks! I had some decent pics of the roadster hosted at one time, but they're all gone. The only one I have left that's hosted is this one, my avatar on another board.

Back