You can type here any text you want

87 TR, finally out of paint, pics inside

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

neat

One of the latest projects, just wanted to post some pictures. It's an 87 Buick Regal with a turbocharged 3.8. The car was originally black, but it didn't have the black out option so all the trim was chrome, bumpers were chrome, etc...

This is before:

The car was weather checked extremely bad so it needed to go all the way to metal:

Here's a shot of the metal under the paint that was weather checked. Pretty rough:

Once I got the car to metal, it started to flash rust almost instantly. The flash rust happened so quickly, that I ended up having to put the car in epoxy primer one panel at a time. By the time I cleaned the rust off a second panel, the first had started to turn orange again. I started with the drivers side front fender:

Literally ever panel on the car needed body work. Nothing on the car was straight:

The passenger door was the worst. It had been compressed at some point in it's life and was rippled from top to bottom:

After a million hours of body work, it went into 2 coats of high build primer:

After that, the car was block sanded and the body work touched up. Once that was done, 2 more coats of high build primer were put on it. That was sanded slick, and a final coat of epoxy primer was put on the car. Then it was painted black. The paint is a mix that has no toner other than black, no additives, nothing; - just black. It's quite a bit darker than the factory black:

Couple coats of PPG Concept Clear:

One of the bumpers, now in black instead of chrome:

The final sanding and buffer / polisher work:

And a few shots of it all back together:

There's a bunch of pictures of it on the photobucket page.

Looks great. While I have a GN, I've always liked the looks of the dark paint cars with chrome trim. I think the car would have really stood out with the chrome. In the sea of all black cars at a Buick event the chrome cars pop. But hey, it's your car, enjoy it.

At some point I hope to find and buy a chrome package car, preferablly a dark blue metallic, chrome package, landau roof, leather interior Limited (but a T will do;) ). It will cost dollars for sure.

I don't think it'll be doing any Buick shows anytime soon, wasn't really concerned about it standing out amongst the crowd there, lol. However, parked next to a Buick with the stock color paint, you can tell a pretty dramatic difference in the color. Maybe that'll get it some attention if it's ever parked in a sea of black Buicks.

Thanks for the compliments!

Back