89 TTA rearend ?

Vsix

Ok whats the deal with these rears is one a Borg Warner 9 bolt and the other a Dana ? how can you tell the differance in appearance ? which one is the strongest of the 2 ? out of the 1555 cars built which rear is there more of ? :D

Thanks JIM :)

They are all 9 bolts. The Dana 44 was a Direct Bolt in Replacement that was sold over the counter but wasnt factory installed in anything except the 25 firehawks I think.

I have a Dana 44 :) Nah Nah Nah Nah ;)

Good Luck finding one now...

Only the SLP firehawks got the Dana 44s and if you bought one from SLP...but all stock is gone.

The BW nine-bolt is a good boat anchor......

well no there are ways of beefing it up but a nice 9" ford is your best bet for the long run.

Ok so all the 89 TTAs have the same rear from the factory w/3.27 gears right? ;)

Thanks JIM

The 9 bolt will last a very long time. George Benson (turbota3.8) has one on his car and as far as I know, he is still using it. His car ran 11.0's before he swapped in his Stage motor.
The problem I remember from friends that had Irocs and GTAs was the posi would go out and there was no way to repair it as there arent any aftermarket carriers available.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
The problem I remember from friends that had Irocs and GTAs was the posi would go out and there was no way to repair it as there arent any aftermarket carriers available.

yes and there are no parts for them anymore. There are some outfits that make gears for them, but trying to get parts to repair them...good luck. Still it's a 7.6" rear, how bullet proof is that? I've seen them snap behind 13 second 350 engines.

iroc22..the rear end is def not bullet proof BUT it does still take a beating!!!! we have many TTAs up here still with the stock rear in them that go "pretty good" :D

as for the 9 bolt mine is still in my car knock on wood and the reason the posi goes in most of them is because of lack of fluid change i change mine evey 5000 miles and most jerkys do doughnuts and that kills the posi im a straight line guy

george