You can type here any text you want

A/C Compressor Will not Kick on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blakboost

I have an 86 Gn with the Electronic Climate Control. When I bought the car in October 06 the A/C worked fine with R-12. Since then it has leaked out due to me just putting pressure on the lines and it seeping out from working under the hood. I did nto operate the A/C for a good 4-5 months now. My wife has had enough of the hot air :) I have replaced the drier and orifice tube. I pulled a vacuum on the system with good results and started the car and activated the A/C. The compressor will not kick on. I jumped the pressure switch at the dryer (didn't work) and was filling the a/c w/ R-134. the system would not take much of the R-134 at all since the compressor was not kicking on. I checked the pressure switch and it does have 12volts running to it. Where else can I check to see if the compressor is bad? I have tried jumping the pin on the ECM and played with the switch on the back of the compressor. Is the only power source to the compressor the little plug in behind it? I have also replaced the a/c compressor relay with no luck. I just want to make sure it's the compressor that's bad before I go spending $170+. Any help is appreciated!!!

I assume when you say behind it you are talking about right behind the pully, and clutch at the front of the compressor. That is the only place to apply power to check function. You could also measure resistance. I don't remember exactly what it should be, but it should be low some where around 15-50 ohm. Test continuity between the plug at the compressor clutch and the relay. If the compressor ran before it is probably in the circuit, not the compressor.
Danny

Did you check your fuses? There are two to check. The ac fuse and another 10 amp fuse. I believe it is ecm. I had the same problem. The 10 amp was blown. Replaced the fuse and the ac worked great.

Check the plug at the compressor clutch, one side is ground, other is power. If there is no power, check and find the ground pin. Connect the plug and use a jumper to put power on the power pin, and then you can see if the compressor works.:)

Back