A/c Compressors For 87 Gn

I would think any compressor with the multi rib pulley would work...

but dont quote me on that...

look on v6 camaros dont quote me but I think the v6 models with serpentine belts will work on the TR. Although the size of the pulley is smaller. Some adjustments to your belt size must be made to make it work ie..smaller belt..

I posted a while back about this, but now I can't find my old post......:confused:

I was talking to the guy that fixes the A/C on my cars. He said that: "The GM RWD cars have the SAME pancake-style compressor, the only difference being the pulley/clutch. All you need to do is swap in the right pulley."

I know that the guy must know what he is talking about....... :)

Can anyone verify this? :confused:

IIRC there are some shaft differences on the early units, but most of the pulleys/clutch should work as well

Late 80s, early 90s Camaros/Firebirds with serpentine pulley is the same. The pulley is the same. I've seen certain models with a visually smaller pulley, but the ones I've pulled are the same as the TR. Using one on my car right now. Get yourself a collection while you still can. ;)

The correct pulley is an even 5" in diameter. All 87-92 Camaro/Firebirds use this pulley with the R4 radial compressor. Another common junkyard source is 87-94 S-10 and Astros with the 4.3 V-6, the 4 cyl and 2.8 V-6 will not work. Also becarefull as some R4 compressors do not have a high pressure switch on the back side. All of the cars listed should have it though.

Originally posted by the wrath
does it matter the engine size of the camaro/firebird red regal t

I just compare them visually with the TR unit. If the pulley looks small, it probably is. Eric has provided more information on engine size and a reminder to check for a pressure switch on the back side of the compressor like on the TR compressors.

You can easily swap over the pressure switch from your old compressor to the new unit, just use an inside C-clip tool, and remove the plug, and replace it with your pressure switch from the original compressor. Pretty simple really :D.

Use the pully you have now there is an 1/8in differance in the back spacing and the belt will ride the back of the pully.I tryed every pully from all the vendors at advanced auto and they were all set to far foward just enough to cause the belt ride the back of the pully.(just touchs but it will work in a pinch)I had to use the original one that came off my car.Hope this helps.AL

What you're saying may be true, but I have used a couple of the Camaro compressors and could not visually find a difference from the original 87 TR compressor. Just to be clear and to avoid confusion, to those needing a compressor, there is no problem using the Camaro compressor, and I have had no problem with belt alignment in many miles of usage.