You can type here any text you want

A few pics from my Strange 33 spline axle+rear disc install...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I have the same spool and axles bit retained the drum brakes. I remember the snout had to be trimmed back for the c clip elim but the ear remained. How much had to be cut off? Any pictures if the trimmed area? Looks like the caliper bracket now uses the same bolts as the c clip elims?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have the same spool and axles bit retained the drum brakes. I remember the snout had to be trimmed back for the c clip elim but the ear remained. How much had to be cut off? Any pictures if the trimmed area? Looks like the caliper bracket now uses the same bolts as the c clip elims?

they recommended to open up the inside of the tube but it didnt seem like it mattered, we did anyway. Yes, bolt goes in from behind thru the bracket and the cclip elims, then a nut goes on the end to tighten it all together. I'll see if i have some pics of it.

they recommended to open up the inside of the tube but it didnt seem like it mattered, we did anyway. Yes, bolt goes in from behind thru the bracket and the cclip elims, then a nut goes on the end to tighten it all together. I'll see if i have some pics of it.

no nut , bolts thread into outboard half of c-clip eliminator
the stock flange isnt flat (its recessed by tube ) and they dont provide a shim (its not designed for one either) so top of flange had to be removed.
the aluminum caliper mounting plate could have been trimmed but that could affect the strength so i went with what they provided , or the flange could have been ground flat but cutting was simple

rest is same as you would for a c-clip elim install
press elimnator outer half and bearing to axles
OE bearing and seals have to be removed and the end of the axle tube cut back flush to flange (can leave a little )
flange needs to be drilled to older GM small pattern , lower holes are there from old backer plate but they need to be opened up to just over 3/8 , upper bolt holes need to be carefully marked and drilled
bolt it all together and then set rotor on axle and throw a couple lugnuts on to hold rotor tight
using shims provided add shims between caliper to center on rotor and bolt caliper on
install pads with tube spacer and then the through bolt

you would need to be in contact with strange when doing this as the street eliminator required a custom machined inbound eliminator half to work with the disc brakes (which I had to call them and have made), if you just ordered parts from a catolog company youd be scratching your head , we called them to avoid parts mismatch issues and even though they knew what was neededand sent parts to make it happen they had a design diagram error which wouldnt work . Strange support was very good at getting parts made and out to us to make it happen. i was very impressed with the fit of their machined parts

no nut , bolts thread into outboard half of c-clip eliminator
the stock flange isnt flat (its recessed by tube ) and they dont provide a shim (its not designed for one either) so top of flange had to be removed.
the aluminum caliper mounting plate could have been trimmed but that could affect the strength so i went with what they provided , or the flange could have been ground flat but cutting was simple

rest is same as you would for a c-clip elim install
press elimnator outer half and bearing to axles
OE bearing and seals have to be removed and the end of the axle tube cut back flush to flange (can leave a little )
flange needs to be drilled to older GM small pattern , lower holes are there from old backer plate but they need to be opened up to just over 3/8 , upper bolt holes need to be carefully marked and drilled
bolt it all together and then set rotor on axle and throw a couple lugnuts on to hold rotor tight
using shims provided add shims between caliper to center on rotor and bolt caliper on
install pads with tube spacer and then the through bolt

you would need to be in contact with strange when doing this as the street eliminator required a custom machined inbound eliminator half to work with the disc brakes (which I had to call them and have made), if you just ordered parts from a catolog company youd be scratching your head , we called them to avoid parts mismatch issues and even though they knew what was neededand sent parts to make it happen they had a design diagram error which wouldnt work . Strange support was very good at getting parts made and out to us to make it happen. i was very impressed with the fit of their machined parts

I knew I was leaving something out :)

Back