You can type here any text you want

A few questions.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jackie grabos

Have my first 87gn, got a few questions. Is it normal for the transmission to downshift kind of hard when coming to a stop for approximate 50mph? It only does this when stopping from higher speeds. I'm guessing the power steering pump needs to be changed because when I hit the brakes or turn the wheel it whines although there is no slack in the wheel. I have changed fluid twice and it is still doing this. My boost gauge on a pillar does not work although it has power, what is most common cause for this? Thinking the vacuum line? When I'm facing the car from the front, do I turn the screw on waste gate arm to the right or left on the turbo to increase boost? Thanks

I wouldn't say that mine down shifts hard but noticeable and has always been that way. Boost gauge prob just split line or it popped off the fitting. Post some info on your setup, i would wait to turn that screw until you have a working boost gauge.

The factory gauge dosent qualify as a working boost gauge lol btw...Get a scanmaster From Full throttle and learn how to use it and an autometer or similar boost gauge before you even entertain the idea of messin with the wastegate..Unless you want you next post to be about how to replace headgaskets......

I remember hard down shifts, I think it was from a shift kit with stock TQ.

A loose converter would dampen the hit..

To add boost, you need to make the rod shorter(stiffer).

Thanks for the advice. I have a pillar boost gauge and will get new vacuum line tomorrow and try to replace. Think the torque converter is stock, so will leave it as is for now. Not going to increase boost till gauge works and looking to get a scan master and new chip. It has atr chips now. Also, have noticed temp is running at 225 degrees, going to change thermostat tomorrow. My oil pressure is 60 at start up and stays around 20-25 on highway. Is this too low?

if your temp is 225, you may want to look further than the thermostat. If your fan relays are shot, they won't help the issue.

The 200-4R will have a tendency to "clunk" during a deceleraion manouver, usuallly when dropping out of 2nd and into first, when the intermediate band releases, the internal drums speed up to output shaft speed through the reduction gearsets, what you feel and hear is the low/roller clutch grabbing hold.
You might want to look towards the intermediate servo "Cushion" spring, that's the reason it's there. Was also a common complaint with the TH-125 transaxle used in front drive GM vehicles, they both work internal parts the exact same way, good luck.

Kevin.

I agree 3-2 and 2-1 clunky, etc downshift typically is the servo spring/setup

Back