You can type here any text you want

A good replacement head unit

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbopete

Tug Driver
I have upgraded to CS II, with good quality speakers (Pioneer), a powered sub (Bazooka tube) and a main power amp (Xtreme 600 Watt). The volume level is fine.
There are a couple of issues where I would like some advice...
The Alpine head unit (CDA 9885) "pops" the speakers when it comes on. I don't know if this a characteristic of all the head units.
The Powerlogger data signal is being picked up in the speakers. I asked TurboBob if anyone else had reported the problem. He said no.
The reception in the head unit, even on the DX setting, is poor.

I had the ground wires redone (4 Gauge) to make sure that was not the source of the problem. It did not cure it.

So,
For a head unit, I am looking for a replacement, single CD, with a strong receiver and premium sound. I tried the Pioneer, but it had too many of the fancy kiddie bells and whistles for me.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Do you have the ign signal to amp coming of the head unit or a ign switched source? Sometimes if you dont go off the head unit the speakers will pop when the amp comes on. I had an Alpine in mine and loved it.

head unit

I have upgraded to CS II, with good quality speakers (Pioneer), a powered sub (Bazooka tube) and a main power amp (Xtreme 600 Watt). The volume level is fine.
There are a couple of issues where I would like some advice...
The Alpine head unit (CDA 9885) "pops" the speakers when it comes on. I don't know if this a characteristic of all the head units.
The Powerlogger data signal is being picked up in the speakers. I asked TurboBob if anyone else had reported the problem. He said no.
The reception in the head unit, even on the DX setting, is poor.

I had the ground wires redone (4 Gauge) to make sure that was not the source of the problem. It did not cure it.

So,
For a head unit, I am looking for a replacement, single CD, with a strong receiver and premium sound. I tried the Pioneer, but it had too many of the fancy kiddie bells and whistles for me.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Blaupunk makes some head units that have a few dials one nice thing about them is when you disconnect the battery it keeps everything in memory

don't know about which Pioneer you looked at, but the 1.5 DIN ones are reported to fit well.

Pioneer has a reputation for good fm tuners.

How is the amp wire to the head unit? did they use line level cables or connect to the speaker outputs? Cheap line level cables might be part of the problem, especially if they ran them over by the ecm......

Do you hear the noise when listening to the radio, CD or both? Is your amp driving the front channels also, or just the rear? If just the rear, then pull the amp fuse and listen to the front channels for the noise.

Bob

The "excellon" Kenwoods are really nice. I had a setup in my old stealth. and wish I had kept it.

Bob

Update

Turns out the wire from the data block to the Scanmaster is the cause of the data noise. Looking for wire that is shielded.
Looked at the higher level Pioneer. Maybe...
Still looking at the sub and amp power. The popping of the speakers is not good.

I can't remember for sure - I had a spkr popping at turn-on in a previous system and it was from the amps. IrvJr is on the right track with his response. It was something along that line anyway.

Back