A lil 200R question...

mr_85regal

Lead foot and a slow car
i have always been hangin round the b4black section but im crossing the line to ask this ques. lol. i am doing up the motor on my 1985 regal w/ a 3.8 litre 2bbl. i am putting on a eddel. cam, 4bbl setup from a 4.1 buick, and prob. and a straight pipe exhaust job{im in fl, no emissions} and i want to put a shift kit and a 1800-2200 stall converter in my 200R. its the 3spd. my ques is will it handle the new power and how much is the stall converter and shift kit? the trans wasz rebuilt aboot 8k ago.

Sounds like you got a 200c. its a different vb all together. Converter will still work and interchange,but nothing else will.

Bruce
WE4

ive never heard of a 200c b4.? how can u tell that it is. in the book and also the last owner said it was a 200R. but what ur saying is that i can put a stall coverter on it but maybe not a shift kit? is that b/c the valve bodys r different? i forgot to add that im 17 so my vocab. is limited. ;)

isnt there a 200r and a 200r4? so the 3 spds are 200c's? i cannot find parts for those trannys online, shift kit, 1800 stall converter.etc

It WAS a 200-4R but now it's a 3speed, right? Or is your 4speed 200-4R down to 3 speeds? Please clarify. Describe the pan shape, whether it has a vacuum modulator. etc.

i know its the stock trans. but it has been rebuilt. it doesnt shift on to a forth gear.. and the pan is square.

The pan is square? That rules out a 200-4R. Does it have a corner with a diagonal cut out of it? If so do you see a vacuum line going to a round device above that cut off corner? If yes to these questions youy have a 350 tranny in there.

that would be very good if it was a 350 cuz the trans could handle more power... did the 350 come in 3spds?

Yes the 350 was a three speed. IF the pan has a cut off corner and NO modulator above it with the word METRIC stamped in it, it is a 200.

evrything is worn off the trans, {num and tags} but i pulled off this sticker the had some numbers underneith and it said on a yellow tag BH Hydromatic. the corner is cut off the pan and theres a spot for a vacume line to run into the trans, but no line coming out? im goin to have that looked at when i go to get the trans mount changed... it wbroke so ill find out then what kinda tranny it is.... but a run down. it issnt a 4spd. so it cant be a 200R4. its a 3spd and the 350 was a 3spd and it has the cut off corner but there is no line runnin out but there is a place for it too.

It sounds like you have a TH350. There is only one spot to connect the vacum line to. It is a round looking unit wit the vacum nipple in the center. (This is called the vacum modulator). This is a 3 peed trans and a very good one for your pruposes. Parts are easy to find and dirt cheap. They are very reliable and can take a pretty good beating. Not super hard to overhaul either so I would keep it and if need be rebuild it.

The TH350 has a removable tail housing and a vacuum
modulator on the rear of the case. The 200-4r and 200c (METRIC)
have one-piece cases and no vacuum modulator