? about heads

I was talking to a friend of mine and he was telling me about doing to heads.It is like putty they blow throw the head but it is like porting.It is done in Irwin pa any info about this?

Forget the proper term for this but it sounds it is the method that flows water mixed with an abrasive through the ports. It just ports the heads like a river erodes the land.

Extrude Hone

Primary applications are air induction components for internal combustion engines, including intake manifolds, cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds. By smoothing these rough "as cast" surfaces in the induction passages, Extrude Hone dramatically enhances air induction and combustion chamber "swirl" velocity. The increased air volume and improved fuel/air mixture result in a cleaner burning, more powerful and more fuel efficient engine.

Extrude Hone’s Powerflow processing of intake manifolds and cylinder head intake ports already has met the challenge for viability, reliability and cost effectiveness. Its value was proven in a four-year, $8 million effort supported by Ford, GM, and the Advanced Technology Program of the National Institute for Standards and Technology.

The process is applied to intake and exhaust manifolds, and cylinder heads, in order to remove rough cast surfaces that restrict horsepower efficiency. Powerflow enlarges and uniformly polishes air and fluid passages to maximize flow velocity through the component. All polishing is performed parallel to the air/fluid flow. The result is a surface finish "grain" achieved in the same direction.

Superior results are reflected in the widespread use of Extrude Hone’s Powerflow by professional race teams in NASCAR, NHRA, IRL, CART and SCCA. Production vehicles, such as the Ford Contour SVT, rely on Extrude Hone to produce the increased airflow required for the 2.5L V-6 to achieve 195 hp. Extrude Hone is responsible for annually processing thousands of intake manifolds and cylinder heads at its headquarters in Irwin, PA.

In addition to meeting the rigid requirements of professional race teams and production automotive manufacturers, Powerflow is an effective process for the performance enthusiast. Mustangs, Corvettes, muscle cars and high performance imports offer many excellent performance enhancing opportunities for Extrude Hone. Increased custom airflow can be tailored specifically for a Powerflow application. Results have demonstrated that such increases can exceed 30 percent on aluminum intake manifolds and 25 percent on cylinder heads.

Another popular application is strengthening a component. The process eliminates stress risers, such as burrs, from edges and surfaces where a crack can occur. Extrude Hone routinely processes gears and brake rotors to provide a uniform edge that significantly improves the dependability and life of highly stressed components

Thanks Two Lane My bubby runs NHRA Pro Stock car and he is having work done there.

Do you think it would be better then getting ported irons or not. He was going to get me a price for my heads done that way.Thanks Again

Kevin,

The heads they've done for me in the past (Chevy BB & SB)
had already been ported before they went...but they got flow numbers up another 10-20 %, depending on the head.

I'll be taking them some Buick heads in late February that will be fresh aluminum castings and look forward to seeing those fellows again...they take a lot of personal interest in whatever you bring/send them, and have always been good to me.

Your GN/TR stock irons would surely benefit from a visit to Extrude Hone...no doubt about that. Cost? Approx. 700.00.
==========================================

You could also buy some ported heads from fellows here on the board...prices run from 600.00 -1200.00, roughly.

Whatever you do, I'll be hoping it all goes together like you want!

HTH :) :)

$700, that is a lot to put in to stock iron heads, I know, I paid lots to do my stock heads. Seems like a good leap towards some hot aftermarket heads - but them they would benefit from their work too!

They got another 10 - 20%! That is impressive. Was the first job what you would consider a good and through p&p job?