You can type here any text you want

About to attempt my version of Spring Cleaning.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
A Clean 87 Grand National........

gn clean 1.jpg

gn clean 2.jpg

gn clean 3.jpg

gn clean 4.jpg

gn clean 5.jpg

Whats the CARB Cleaner "trick"???

Also on the firewall there are two hose connections coming out of the area by the AC unit. The left connection is NOT connected to any hose. Should it be? WHat is this for???

Carb cleaner will help you find vac leaks. If you spray a little around the engine with it running and if you have vac leaks, the engine idle will change and you will know what area to focus your search for leaks. It may not be a bad idea to replace all the vac hoses since they are over 20 yrs and it looks like the car has been a little neglected.

I cannot tell by the pics posted what hoses you are talking about, but there is a hose that has a funky kink in it. It looks like the heater core leaked and it was bypassed. Post more pics of that area and it may help you if you look at pics of other member's engine bay to see how things are supposed to look.

Get rid of that funky red wire, especially if it is not fused at the battery. A short could cause a fire and cost you your car.

Did the Carb Cleaner Trick today. Seems to produce more acceleration when sprayed on the passenger side of the engine. Have a few vacuum leaks that I need to track down and replace with hoses.

Is there a kit that comes with all the Hoses Precut and identified?????

Had new tires and new shocks put on the car. Cut out the Red wire that went to the external heater inside the car. Got to figure out the Heater Core/AC issue.

So far having a good time with this project.

Update

Finally got the car Insured, Registered and Inspected. New Shocks and New Tires.
Chilton Guide arrived.

Next I am going to have the Heater Core replaced. After that I plan on installing a new Exhaust System. Dropping in a new Radiator. Getting the AC to work.(No rush since winter is coming.) New Hoses and Rubber lines(or whatever they are called.) Oh yeah, and Hood Struts.

Who are some of the better "Forum Vendors" to deal with???
Who are some of the better "online vendors" to deal with???

Has anyone bought parts on EBAY???? I see one Ebay Vendor (VICSPARTS) who seems to carry alot of parts for these cars.

The car is "Stock". Whats the benefit of me putting a chip in the car?

What Radiator is recommended ???
What Exhaust System is recommended ???

Thanks

Is there a kit that comes with all the Hoses Precut and identified?????

Not that I know of, just get regular vac line at autozone. There are 3 sizes not sure what they all are off the top of my head. Just get a couple of feet of each and cut to fit. NOS4GN.com should have most of what you need for parts. For exhaust I have a 3" SS system from BuickGN.com, sounds pretty good.

Get a turbo tweak chip, chips make a big difference in these cars.

I was researching this topic earlier today and came across the following:

Cruise Control Servo
Large port 9/32"
Small port 7/32"
Vacuum ball 7/32"

Washer Resevoir 8/32" = 1/4"
Washer Nozzles 7/32"

Charcoal Canister
To Tank 10/32" = 5/16"
Solenoid 8/32" = 1/4"

EGR to Solenoid 5/32"
Vacuum to EGR Solenoid/Check Valve for HVAC/Cruise 9/32"