AC compressor clicking

MUSCL GN

Did the 134 conversion back in 99, ac has been blowing warm for past year decided I was going to fix it. I bought a recharge can and filled but the ac compressor is clicking, no cold air blowing. As the compressor clicks the rpms go up and down, I hooked up a gauge too and pressure goes up and down with clicking. It is fully charged. I really don't know much about AC system so any help would be greatly appreciated. Yes I did a search under this topic before posting so save that bit of wisdom for yourself-I also checked out article on regal web by Jim t-maybe I missed something. Thanks

With a R-134 conversion, you only require 2/3 as much refrigerant as with R12. I can't recall what the sticker calls for, but it was about 3 lbs. Assuming that is the correct number, full charge with 134 would only require about 2 lbs.

If you were very empty and added only one can (16 oz), you may be low. The clicking that you hear may be the compressor cycling on and off. If that is the case, a partial can of 134 would be enough to let the compressor to run normally.

Exactly what B just said, also if you dont have any gauges, autozone or whoever sells a gauge that you can check your pressure with just like a tire gauge. Just simple check the pressure with the gauge to see if its low or getting to high.
You can check that clicking noise, look at the front of the ac compressor, if the clutch moves, then stops thats probably because its low on freon.
BW

The system capacity for R12 refrigerant is listed on the sticker on top of the evaporator case (passenger side, right by the firewall).

To properly charge with R134, you want to put-in 80% of the R12 charge.

Also, if your compressor is cycling on and off frequently, you are most likely low on refrigerant.

I'll be happy to help, just give me a call.

Brett