You can type here any text you want

Accumulator - how long does an unused accumulator stay charged

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

channer

Hi All

Does anyone know if a new unused GM Accumulator ball will keeps it charge forever... or will it eventully lose its charge over time. It is does its charge, how long would stay charge? what is its shelf life?

dave

they hold a charge as long as the bladder is not ruptured

which of the 3 different accum balls is it?

1st gen all black- bladder not reinforced- will ultimately fail.
2nd gen with yellow writing- reinforced center
3rd gen- whats on the cardone ones at autozone now

2nd generation, with the yellow writing & nut on the outside.

thanks for replying.

i cant tell you for sure how long they will last but we just put one on my brothers car that has been sitting for years and its fine.

take a nail or thin rod that fits in the ball hole and still sticks out a few inches

gently push it in untill you feel it hit the metal reinforcement in the center of the bladder.(yellow writing ball only)

put some pressure on it to see if it still has elasticity to push the nail back.

if it does that successfully a few times- chances are its good

take a nail or thin rod that fits in the ball hole and still sticks out a few inches

gently push it in untill you feel it hit the metal reinforcement in the center of the bladder.(yellow writing ball only)

put some pressure on it to see if it still has elasticity to push the nail back.

if it does that successfully a few times- chances are its good

....and chances are you'll put a hole in the diaphragm and ruin it.

I would trust the 2nd generation as long as it timed out well and bled off air within a few cycles....and didn't make the dash light flash.

Even so, it is always good to have a backup. My 8yr old 2nd generation acc is just as good as the 1yr old 3rd gen I have just installed. It is now my backup, but I will switch them back soon and keep the new one as backup.

Just food for thought....

....and chances are you'll put a hole in the diaphragm and ruin it.

I would trust the 2nd generation as long as it timed out well and bled off air within a few cycles....and didn't make the dash light flash.

Even so, it is always good to have a backup. My 8yr old 2nd generation acc is just as good as the 1yr old 3rd gen I have just installed. It is now my backup, but I will switch them back soon and keep the new one as backup.

Just food for thought....

more food
have you ever cut an old 1st and 2nd gen open to see whats inside??

do you know what the difference is between the two?

let me tell ya

the 2nd gen has a metal tab in the center to reinforce the bladder unlike the first gen.

sooo
unless you use a really sharp object that can penetrate through metal and your really carless

i doubt you'll pop it

remember if it doesn't push back its ruptured- *off the car test*

more food
have you ever cut an old 1st and 2nd gen open to see whats inside??

do you know what the difference is between the two?

let me tell ya

the 2nd gen has a metal tab in the center to reinforce the bladder unlike the first gen.

sooo
unless you use a really sharp object that can penetrate through metal and your really carless

i doubt you'll pop it

Interesting information. You learn something new every day.
This is something I didn't know. Thank you.

Have you seen the insides of the new 3rd gen by chance?

no i haven't seen a third one yet...

it was Richard Clark of gnx rear suspension/zddp fame who showed me those and tested one at kirbans back in sept.i dont know if hes ever had a bad 3rd gen to cut open yet.

your info on testing power masters is very good btw zeus87gn- keep up the good fight
it defiantly is the better system

Back