You can type here any text you want

Additional fuel/meth porting q's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I`v never heard of anyone having problems, but one... my uncles friend had a ford truck that ran on propane and was having problem(what else, its a ford) so we drained the oil... looked as clean as it did going inn. We took the heads off and there was chunks of white gunk built up all over then and into the exhaust manifold... don`t know how or why that happened.

Yeah, I ask a lot of questions and I get off topic... welcome to the B4B section, this happens often:biggrin:

There's been lots of info on this and the washer fluid works the best, period! I think even Jesse has pointed out that it worked well on his car.:biggrin:

Yes it does. I really have been wanting to make a much better system with the homemade progressive controller but I just got so much stuff going on I can't bring myself to put any efforts towards it. I should at least get the controller built some time so I at least have that done. I haven't figured out what I want for a pump yet either. I myself am really not big on using methonal. Why? because with washer fluid there is minimal risk of pump failure. With -20 peak (which is only 35% methanol) I was running 23lbs plus an extra 4* timing in 1/2 and 3* in 3rd. Advanced timing really helps, you guys need to try it out. Made midrange power go up a noticeable amount. I'm going to try to find concentrated windshield washer fluid when I get back to playing with the car again. THe only evidence of the blue die is a little crusting in the throttle body. Now, what I REALLY would like to do is be able to inject a 50/50 mix straight into the ports, but looking at the intake it would take an insane amount of work and don't really think it's even possible. All the e85 users claim they've seen the light with this stuff. Until I see a back to back test with e85 and alcohol injection, I'm sticking with the spray bottle. Last time I drove it I didn't have a scan tool in the car and had it pop and buck under hard acceleration when it got cold out. I don't know if I was running too lean or if there's a fuel system issue that needs to be ironed out. I have quite a ways to go yet before I get back into things as you all know.

im on the fence about this.... many sources in the past have indicated to me that after-carb, pre-impeller is best location. you dont want the alcohol to disrupt the metering signal in the carb. the erosion that was occuring on the impeller was a result of inferior or not purpose made nozzles.

I think there are pros and cons to injecting before the carb.

It may mess with the carb metering. I think the key is to use a little as possible and spray only when the secondaries are open (and dumping in as much air as possible). Many systems (non-Buick turbo V6) have been succesful like this.

After the carb has concerns about the water droplets eroding the impeller. Again, limiting the liquid will help. Water may be worse than alcohol in this case (greater surface tension of the droplets). I did see some erosion even when injecting before the carb, but I was injecting A LOT of liquid at times. It may have been puddling on a cold carb plenum (bad EGR valve).

In the end, pre-carb is a much easier install and makes changing the nozzle size a snap.

IMO, Run just enough liquid to suppress knock. Don't use the alcohol for fuel. If you need more fuel, then use the the carb's rods & hangers to richen it up.

Not gonna argue with you at all on this Rich. To much won't break down and mix right. That is one of the problems here. Perfect use of alky or water works best 12" from the inlet of the turbo but if you don't have the right type of spray it will puddle and those little droplets are like little rocks in a jet engine. You may do fine but the chance of erosion is always there.:eek:

Back