You can type here any text you want

Advice needed on using used engine valve springs, timing chain

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GoldHawg

Appreciate counsel on using relatively low mile used parts. I have a stock engine in my GN that has 110k miles, and has been sitting for several years. I wanted to upgrade the valve springs and the timing chain, per recommendations on the site. I have some old LT1 valve springs that I pulled off of an 8k mile motor (many years ago) when I swapped an LT4 hot cam kit into that motor. I know valve springs are relatively cheap, but any reason I shouldn't reuse these low mileage valve springs? Also, there is a guy currently trying to sell a double roller timing chain that allegedly has only 1500 miles. Thoughts on buying used timing chains? How much would be too many miles on a used timing chain?

I obviously want to save money by buying/using used parts, but don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. Thx for your thoughts.

You can check the springs out with a little effort. I would not mess with the timing chain set. The springs may not be worth the effort though with the price of new ones being so cheap. Jon Hanson

Valve springs are cheap but I would upgrade your keepers too. As far as the chain I wouldn't unless you're selling the car and don't care about what happens. If it's a Cloyes RUN!! I'd look at some of the beehive springs myself. They have better reliability and they're not that expensive.

but don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

I think you are.... :smile: Those aren't the right springs.. For stock-ish motor w/bolt-ons, use comp 979's (with cups) or comp 980's with no cups, or equivalent. Too much spring pressure WILL wipe the cam... and those springs 'may' have too much. If you go double roller, make sure you don't reuse the tensioner.

here's a little reading that should answer most of your valve spring questions....
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/234050-these-valve-spring-dampers.html

hope that helps! ;)

Two ??s: I saw in another post that the LT1s everyone should use is the original LT1 vice the new '90s LT1 (sorry I never remember which one is dashed LT-1). Is that true?

Second, I scoured quite a few of the vendors for timing chain & valve springs, w/o much luck (found a cloyes which another poster discouraged) and 100lb valve springs which some (in the above link) are against. Any good vendor sources for these two items w/the recommended valve springs? Or just go to an auto parts store?

thx

When my car had 85,000 I put in Comp Cam 980's and ran them for years without a problem. I would imagin several supporting vedors carry both the springs and timing set.

Back